Mechanical kitchen timer accurate enough for brewing?

e-Brew

Trial Member
Reaction score
So i've have been using my phone for a timer over the last year or so however that can be a pain if someone calls around the end time. I was thinking about getting a mechanical kitchen timer. Do you think they are accurate enough for brewing? Anyone else out there using one?

I used to use the digital timer built into my scale, until the Brewer's Friend brew feature timers came along.

I'd test the mechanical timer a few times to make sure it is accurate. If it is, I don't see any reason not to use it. You'll just have to keep a close eye on it to make sure you hit your hop addition times as specified.

The brew session timers provide a timer per hop addition, and include things like your wort chiller, other ingredients, etc. Makes it almost impossible to miss a step.

Attachments

• brewtimer_release2.png
    brewtimer_release2.png
    46.3 KB · Views: 1,554
I love the brewfriend timer but i wish there were audible alarms for each time period.

Suggest it in the feature request forum and we'll see what we can do. Some, but not all browsers, now have a built in audio tag that could work.

Short answer to the original question, yes. A minute or two plus or minus won't make a discernible difference.

A sundial is good enough... I don't think the monks had much else brewing back in the old day.

TheZel66 said:
A sundial is good enough... I don't think the monks had much else brewing back in the old day.

:D .... I've been looking at the watch on my wrist... making notes as I go and then complete the brew session afterwords to keep records.

Does anyone use a honkin' big hourglass? Seriously, while I use the timer on the microwave, to-the-second accuracy is neither needed nor worth obsessing over.

Back