Mash tun or biab?

For a while, I used a hybrid system. I would mash in a 5 gallon Igloo beverage cooler using a BIAB bag.
+1 on mashing in a bag, @BOB357 turned me on to this. I mash in a keggle, and using the bag makes clean up a breeze, will also make cleaning you mash cooler a breeze if you go that route.

Yeah, I would never mash without a bag these days. Just makes everything so easy.

I am still doing the classical mash, but a coworker of mine is thinking of getting into brewing, and the first thing I told him was, "BIAB!"
I like maximizing my brewing capacity (e.g. 27 liter fermenter volume from a 30 liter mashtun), but if I was starting from scratch, I would definitely try BIAB.
And my coworker wants to try a small batch, so BIAB just seems to be an obvious way to go..

I want to brew a 5 gallon batch of stout. I only have a 4 gallon kettle. What is the drawback to brewing 3.5 gallons and adding water to the carboy to get the 1.054 OG?

It's more work and you could theoretically introduce infection. I wouldn't worry to much about it personally, though 3.5 might be optimistic in a 4 gallon pot.

I want to brew a 5 gallon batch of stout. I only have a 4 gallon kettle. What is the drawback to brewing 3.5 gallons and adding water to the carboy to get the 1.054 OG?
I brewed a lot of batches that way. Be sure and account for it in your hops and expect a slightly darker brew than if you'd done a full boil. The color is cosmetic, the hops, well, the calculator on this site will account for it as long as you put the correct water volumes in.

Adding the water afterward will likely fix any colour concerns anyway, but yeah it "should" be more concentrated.

Back