Mash tun bottom

Jship

Trial Member
Reaction score
What do you guys prefer who use coolers for mashing stainless braid or copper, cpvc,pex bottom im going to make a mash lauter tun

I have a stainless steel false bottom that I'm not completely happy with - the holes let too much crushed grain through. (Sigh) Might have to scrap that idea (I can repurpose it in the kettle) and redesign the lauter system.

Nosybear said:
I have a stainless steel false bottom that I'm not completely happy with - the holes let too much crushed grain through. (Sigh) Might have to scrap that idea (I can repurpose it in the kettle) and redesign the lauter system.

some people put a screen over it I recommend this one,
Corrosion-Resistant 304 Stainless Steel Woven Wire Cloth, 28 X 28 Mesh, .01" Wire Diameter, 24" X 24" Sheet
I bought mine from http://www.mcmaster.com

Attachments

• MashTunCoolerFB1-2T.jpg
    MashTunCoolerFB1-2T.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 353
I first used the stainless braid and that worked pretty well for keeping the grain out but my belief is this design caused channeling and lower efficiency.

I then went to the false bottom design exactly like Ozarks posted above and that will allow you to put a dip tube (just a little nipple really) down further into the shallow of the basin so you'll pick up wort more effectively and channeling will be a non factor assuming your mash is on a level surface.

All that being said.. I moved away from using cooler-based mashes because the whole thing is made of LDPE plastic and i'm wary of using that in a hot water, continuous use environment. Understanding that people will swear up and down and fight over the safety of this, I'll just say do your research on that and see if you are OK with it. But just be aware of it.

I have moved to a large volume aluminum pot with a spigot that I now mash in and I would never go back.

I only have a 30l mash tun, but use a stainless braid, and have had no noticeable problems with channeling. I get 70-75% efficiency (brewhouse), so don't really have much concerns there either...

you can take some 3/8 silicone hose, slit it long ways and attach it around the edges, if that doesn't work take the screen, lay on top cut to fit the curve and its ridged enough to make a flat fold seam, then use the same hose to cap the edges and hold it in place

I'm in the process of upgrading from a modified BIAB process to full AG, and I'm strongly considering just lining my (water cooler) mash tun with my nylon bag. As far as I understand, the filtering process is the same concept as BIAB, only I'm moving the wort around instead of the grain. Is there any reason this wouldn't work?

I use a folding vegetable steamer wrapped in two layers of cheesecloth. Works great!

Boys boys now I tell ya BIAB is the WAY to go. In Australia the fabrics called Swiss Voile. That is a polyester type fabric with holes so small when I wiz my grain into a powder even that gunks up against the fabric . yep last mash I lifted a grain bag quick and lost a liter over the edge of my kettle. Anyhow no floaties no vaughloff (spelling) you just dunk that sucker like a tea bag ha ha. Rig up a rope and pully system above your pot and when your done mashing,lift that suckker out over your pot to drain and sparge till your hearts content whilst in the meantime flame is struck and kettle is ramping to the boil. It is so simple. Clean up put grain bag in bucket grab edges and ease grain into bucked then rinse bag off and hang it on the clothes line. Mash efficiency in constant 90 step mash all good just raise the bag off bottom of kettle when flame is lit or coil is on and wait till temp is reached. Too easy:). Sorry got Carried away there:rolleyes:. Any questions on this style I got ya covered :cool:.

You Aussies did get BIAB right for sure! I never would've spent all that money (or space) on a 3 vessel set up.

I started out biab for the cost. And swore that I was going to be a 3 gallon batch brewer (ha!). $65 got me a 32 qt pot and burner , hobby lobby had Swiss voila for $3.25/yard and bobs your uncle. A guy in my town sold out all his homebrew gear, that's where I started kegging, bigger batch size, and scored a 56qt rectangular cooler with copper manifold. So I now mash in a bag in a cooler ,get great eff and kettle losses have been cut in half and feel it has improved my finished beer both in flavor and clarity (pretty sure flavor is more temp control from my glycol system) 15gallon SS kettle or keggle is next upgrade

Boys boys now I tell ya BIAB is the WAY to go. In Australia the fabrics called Swiss Voile. That is a polyester type fabric with holes so small when I wiz my grain into a powder even that gunks up against the fabric . yep last mash I lifted a grain bag quick and lost a liter over the edge of my kettle. Anyhow no floaties no vaughloff (spelling) you just dunk that sucker like a tea bag ha ha. Rig up a rope and pully system above your pot and when your done mashing,lift that suckker out over your pot to drain and sparge till your hearts content whilst in the meantime flame is struck and kettle is ramping to the boil. It is so simple. Clean up put grain bag in bucket grab edges and ease grain into bucked then rinse bag off and hang it on the clothes line. Mash efficiency in constant 90 step mash all good just raise the bag off bottom of kettle when flame is lit or coil is on and wait till temp is reached. Too easy:). Sorry got Carried away there:rolleyes:. Any questions on this style I got ya covered :cool:.
Hey there: I agree BIAB is the best. I put a stainless steel veg. steamer in bottom of pot to prevent the bag from scorching. After mash
I place bag of grain in another kettle with 2 gallons hot water to extract more. I like the pulley idea. Best wishes, Nick

Back