Mash temperature changes do not impact the final attenuation

omkodiak

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi,

In previous versions adjusting the mash temp would automatically adjust the final attenuation/final gravity forecast. However this no longer seems to happen. Is this broken or am I doing something wrong? Its hard to understand the various dependencies between the fields now that there has been so many new features added.

This recipe# 400389. Please let me know if there are other fields I have not configured correctly that may be impacting this.

Please see the screenshots.

Thanks,
Henry

upload_2019-11-5_22-2-17.png

I have noticed this as well. Seems like it used to affect OG, but no longer. Makes estimating your ABV, dry vs sweet, etc, a more difficult.

Mash temperature, within a reasonable range, affects wort fermentability, not conversion efficiency. This means it will impact FG, and have little or no affect on OG.

I know this is something that is on the to-do list, but I cannot say when it will be updated, or how the solution will work. As soon as I have more info, I'll pass it along though!

Like Bob said, mash temperature mainly affects fermentability of wort, where the most fermentable wort is produced somewhere in the range of 148-152F and deviations from there will decrease fermentability (and increase the FG accordingly).

If the temperature is too far from the acceptable mash temperatures, then the conversion will definitely be affected. Ie mashing at 170 will quickly denature the enzymes and produce little fermentable wort, and mashing under 130 F or so will not activate the enzymes so minimal conversion will occur.

Typo on my part, meant to say FG and not OG.

Mash temperature absolutely does affect ferment ability and as such, the FG will be lower when the Mash temperature is lower and visa-versa.

Back