Mash pH

nkldrgr

Premium Member
Reaction score
Can anyone explain why Brewers Friend mash pH would be 5.8 (my recently brewed Northern England Brown recipe) when everything I read about mash pH states that mash pH should be 5.2 to 5.4? Should I be increasing alkalinity to 5.8 when brewing this recipe? Would love to hear thoughts. Thanks

Can anyone explain why Brewers Friend mash pH would be 5.8 (my recently brewed Northern England Brown recipe) when everything I read about mash pH states that mash pH should be 5.2 to 5.4? Should I be increasing alkalinity to 5.8 when brewing this recipe? Would love to hear thoughts. Thanks
It calculates it based on your recipe. As far as I know. If you want lower ph, add some acid

5.8 mash pH is too high. 5.2-5.4 is better.

Most home brewers don’t watch the pH beyond the mash. The mash pH is important for conversion. The thing to watch for is pitch pH. Typically the pH rises during sparging, even with RO water. Try to hit 5.3-5.4 for dark beers and 5.1-5.2 for lighter beers at the pitch. Lowering pH is pretty easy with acid, raising pH is much harder to do because it’s difficult to add alkalinity.

5.8 mash pH is too high. 5.2-5.4 is better.

Most home brewers don’t watch the pH beyond the mash. The mash pH is important for conversion. The thing to watch for is pitch pH. Typically the pH rises during sparging, even with RO water. Try to hit 5.3-5.4 for dark beers and 5.1-5.2 for lighter beers at the pitch. Lowering pH is pretty easy with acid, raising pH is much harder to do because it’s difficult to add alkalinity.
There's always sodium bicarbonate :).

You’re right Ben, it works really good. But as Don pointed out it adds flavor in the form of sodium. Good for dark beers, but not so much for lighter and hoppy beers.
Amen only time I've used it as I see out Technical dude @Pricelessbrewing was the other day.

In a stout or dark grist beer where the roasted malts naturally bring the PH down on ya:).

Amen only time I've used it as I see out Technical dude @Pricelessbrewing was the other day.

In a stout or dark grist beer where the roasted malts naturally bring the PH down on ya:).
Purely for testing reasons haha. My recipes are like 60% nonsense, don't do this at home folks!

Or acidulated malt.

While 5.8 would still turn out beer, you might find it tastes different with a lower pH. I strive to keep mine below 5.5, but I really don't know if that makes any difference.
actual pH was in the 5.2 -5.4 range. I rarely have to adjust. just curious if anyone else is seeing higher "target" mash pH listed on brewer's friend

I set my target in the water calc. I add salts first, then acid to hit target. That target then carries over to the recipe when I link the water calc. It is usually very close to reality.

Back