Mash pH Issues

Discussion in 'Brewer's Friend Announcements & Updates' started by Nosybear, Jan 17, 2019.

1. Nosybear

Nosybear Well-Known Member

Was putting together a recipe last night for the homebrew club and unfortunately in the presence of several potential users, ran into quite an interesting problem. As I was building the recipe, I saw I needed to reduce the mash pH from 5.61 to the target range of 5.4. So I added acidulated malt and the predicted pH went UP to 8.64. Hmmm.... Took the acidulated malt out, then added in lactic acid. The water calculator gave me what looked to be the correct amount but then again predicted the pH to be 8.64. Given the results I was getting for the amount of lactic acid, I'm assuming it gave me the correct amount of acid to add but it is displaying the wrong pH.

2. ACBEV

ACBEV Active Member

I've been experiencing oddities with PH values too... I can't remember exactly the PH value, but it was 4. something, which didn't look right. I was expecting something like 5.3 to 5.6, so I removed 50ml of CRS/AMS and the PH didn't move at all! But then I added a kilo of pale ale malt and the PH went up to 5.06, which didn't seem right either.

3. Yooper

Yooper Administrator
    Staff Member

Happily retired
    I'll put in a ticket right away for this. In the meantime if you could recreate the issue, and add a few screenshots here, that would be very helpful in finding the problem so it could be more easily fixed we'd appreciate it!

4. Nosybear

Will see what I can do this evening when I get home.... Actually, never mind. It seems to be working correctly now - with the acid additions it's showing pH 5.4, as it should. I did some fidgeting around with the acid additions and acidulated in the water calculator and everything seemed to function as expected.

5. ACBEV

ACBEV Active Member

o_O Seems fine here too, now. @Yooper Perhaps you should cancel that ticket... ;)

6. nununene

nununene New Member

While your at it can you check why the mash pH in water calculator is different than the mash pH in recipe. It's not that far off but it is off.
    I have a recipe where I'm using a carbon filter on my tap and I had it analyzed and entered that as source then I took light and hoppy as target. I added salts and acid and everything looked about right, all green stars, 2.1 so4/ca, and 5.47 pH. but recipe shows pH at 5.35.

7. Yooper

Yooper Administrator
    Staff Member

Happily retired
    When that happens, it may be because when you go back to the recipe, if "update recipe" is not clicked (the one by the water calc link), it will show incorrectly. Could that be an issue?

8. nununene

nununene New Member

I have updated the recipe and edited the water calculations from the recipe and then updated and it's still slightly different.

9. Yooper

Yooper Administrator
    Staff Member

Happily retired
    Which recipe is this in? I'd like to take a look.

10. nununene

nununene New Member

it is one I created for an experiment on my water. I just shared it and it's called SMASHED fly IPA light.

11. nununene

nununene New Member

Oh yeah, I know the water calc update recipe button worked because the salts and acid additions were correct.

12. nununene

nununene New Member

13. Yooper

Yooper Administrator
    Staff Member

Happily retired
    I see that the recipe says 5.35 in the recipe, and the water calc gives 5.35. So I thought this had been resolved. Is it still a problem in other recipes?

14. Nosybear

It's working for me now.

15. nununene

nununene New Member

I checked it tonight and when I opened the calculator it had 5.35 for mash pH. but it had total water volume of 9 gallons. I'm conditioning 12 gallons to take into account losses and when I enter 12 gallons for total water volume the mash pH changes to 5.47. Does the recipe only take into account the volume of water in the mash and sparge for the pH? I'm adding salts and acid to all 12 gallons and then using 9 for mash and sparge. I do wonder why the total water volume changes when you save and exit calculator ten update recipe and return to calculator.

16. Craigerrr

Craigerrr Well-Known Member

I have found that if you make changes to water volumes in the recipe, you need to update the volumes in the calculator as well

17. nununene

nununene New Member

Thanks, that was it. I added 3 gal to sparge in recipe as loss left in HLT and that fixed it. Now it matches the calculator in every respect.

Yooper likes this.
  18. Craigerrr

Craigerrr Well-Known Member

FTW!
    (for the win)