Mash complete / before Sparge gravity

Nimit Bier

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys, does anyone know were I can find the gravity before sparging?

It's not pre boil because then I already sparged.

I would like to know if I am already there or not.

Thx in advance

Hi Guys, does anyone know were I can find the gravity before sparging?

It's not pre boil because then I already sparged.

I would like to know if I am already there or not.

Thx in advance
I'm not sure where that measurement would be significant, but if you need to calculate it, you could run enough of the wort out from the mash tun to measure it with a hydrometer. As it may contain some chunks of grain and other particles, you may have to let it settle a bit before taking a reading. Then adjust the reading for temperature.

I got a Herms setup so wort out is mostly clear. The measurement is no problem but what should the reading be before sparging. Then i can decide to sparge less

I got a Herms setup so wort out is mostly clear. The measurement is no problem but what should the reading be before sparging. Then i can decide to sparge less
That's a difficult question since it depends on several factors, such as how thick you mash is to start with (water/grain ratio), the amount of conversion, the expected pre-boil OG, and how much sparge water you expect to add. Some of those calculations are in turn dependent on the boil-off rate.

If you know the volume of wort in the mash tun that will drain out, the specific gravity of that wort, and the desired pre-boil specific gravity, there are calculations you could do do determine how much sparge water should be added.

Last edited:
Jup thats what I mean. Since brewersfriend is so complete I thougt there would be an estimate somewhere. Earlier I worked with a program called brouwhulp. That would give this number.

Last edited:
Jup thats what I mean. Since brewersfriend is so complete I thougt there would be an estimate somewhere. Earlier I worked with a program called brouwhulp. That would give this number.
That would be a helpful feature. I have not worked with Brewer's Friend enough to determine whether or not such a feature is already built in. If not, you could request such a feature. I think the "Technical Issues" forum is where you could make such a request.

If you had a refractometer, you could take a reading maybe a gallon short of target volume and see where you were. That's what I do with my boil gravity.

Yes indeed sounds good. I think the brewsession is also the best place for it. I am looking forward to the feature thx!

Back