March 19th updates

Pricelessbrewing

BF Software Manager
Lifetime Member
Staff member
Established Member
Reaction score
Hey Brewer's Friend community,

The past few days we've made several updates and I've failed to provide an updated changelog here.

2022-03-19

Brew Sessions - Fixed the bug for mash calculator showing 0 volume remaining. Update mash calculator to use latest quick water requirement volume calculations.

Brew Sessions - Added mashed volume including grain to the mash calculator.

Brew Sessions - Fixed an "off by 1" date stamp bug where some timestamp weren't accounting for the users timezone properly.

Recipe Builder - Updated how the Mash Thickness value is updated when changing recipe units or the equipment profile for the recipe.

Recipe Builder - Changes in the mash thickness in mash guidelines automatically update changes to the mash steps associated with QWR when used - strike volume and starting temp are automatcally updated from the mash thickness input.

Recipe Builder - A new QWR was created for when the mashtun capacity was exceeded.

Recipe Builder - Fixed bug wher zero utilization values were being ignored.

Recipe Builder - Fixed how honey, fruit and puree ingredients as categories where affecting OG and ABV when used as late additions.

Search Recipes - Changed the search to allow users to deselect brew method and/or unit system.

Last edited:
The second line was quickly added, but has been a frequent request. Especially for BIAB users to get their mash volume with grains, since this has been added to the QWR we've also added it to the mash calculator tab in the brew sessions. In the long run, these will be combined and the mash calculator in the brew sessions will mirror the mash guidelines section of the recipe builder.

upload_2022-3-19_12-9-39.png

The Starting Mash Thickness input will automatically create a strike mash step that will update and drive changes to both the strike steps amount/volume, and the start temp!

The process isn't foolproof, and we didn't want to delay the rest of the update to finesse the workflow. It's not nearly as feature rich as what is intended for the upcoming Mash Guidelines 2.0 Overhaul.

upload_2022-3-19_12-13-32.png

If I change the Target temp to 154, and the mash thickness to 1.75 for example, the following will automatically fill in the amount and the start temp.

upload_2022-3-19_12-15-27.png

Today I tried to build a recipe and the water calculator is not working properly. It's telling me my post boil volume is 20L for a 25L batch and to top up the boil afterwards. Doesn't make any sense and I can't work out where the problem is. Is this related to the update?

Today I tried to build a recipe and the water calculator is not working properly. It's telling me my post boil volume is 20L for a 25L batch and to top up the boil afterwards. Doesn't make any sense and I can't work out where the problem is. Is this related to the update?
Let me take a look, can you save your recipe and share it?

In general the system will recommend a top off whenever the post boil size is less than the batch size. However it shouldn't be recommended a post boil size less than the batch size unless you've entered that post boil, or else changed the batch size afterwards.

Back