Mangrove Jacks M54 Lager yeast

well here is the krausen on my wlp090 starter it's going bonkers! Gunna pitch 1.5lt of this active into my brew today recon lag time will be short:D

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    242.4 KB · Views: 319
So your going to put this yeast through another batch there Ozark? Have you found floculation is slow with it? I kind of get that Sulfury taste from this beer like its early like drinking a sample whilst fermentation is under way. ATM so disappointed with this yeast. It could probably be me but the only thing I've changed is the yeast. Fingers crossed it clears up:oops:.

I think I might of found my culprit a leaking fitting on my Imersion chiller it ain't one continuous piece of copper tubing and unfortunately enough I found out on today's brew when I racked into fermentor from kettle and left water going through chiller and I could hear a drip drip noise coming from inside kettle and that's how I discovered a nasty leaking fitting! This probably explains that off taste in my last brew! So now I'm really worried about today's brew dam it:eek:.

Im thinking of changing my approach, this is a lager yeast so treat it as such, it takes more yeast and ferments twice as long, the only difference is it can handle ale temps, I fermented that last batch at 65, going to try 57 this time

Ive herd good things about US West Coast M44, Im going to try it next

Ive herd good things about US West Coast M44, Im going to try it next
Yea I've tried this yeast before in a pale ale turned out good was awhile ago now. Yea mangrove jacks yeast range takes some getting through they pretty much have a yeast for every beer style even mead yeast. They also do some neat looking extract punches and the lady from the home brew store said their mixed berry cider pouch is a hit with the lady's no artificial sweetener flavours. Might try one of these for the missus and hope for a miracle that she likes it:).

I didn't end up pitching that yeast till this morning :rolleyes: I fell asleep after too many brews and threw it in this morning nice and early I could only get my wort down to 25c after chilling. The ferment fridge was at 21c when I went to bed. I might invest in a large bucket and throw some ice in this and sit the fermentor in this to help drop it a little further I'm thinking

was testing that starter out, what I did was use 2 cups of DME to 1500 ML of water, put it on the stir plate on high for 24 hours then in the fridge for 12 so far and it finally dropped I have 1/2" slurry now to play with, its very slow to drop, still not completely clear

was testing that starter out, what I did was use 2 cups of DME to 1500 ML of water, put it on the stir plate on high for 24 hours then in the fridge for 12 so far and it finally dropped I have 1/2" slurry now to play with, its very slow to drop, still not completely clear
Few this might explain what's happening in my lattest batch it tasted a little muddy like it hadn't flocked out yet it gives me hope:). So that's a high grav starter there aye Ozark. My starter I posted yesterday I didn't pitch till this morning and the krausen was still the same almost like it was stuck to the flask I swilled it all back in decanted into my 500ml saver jar and pitched the other 1.5lt into brew I'm thinking its rocking on right now. It's a hot day here in Aus today well up here in qld anyhow prob 36c max today so nice and toasty with a lot of humidity with it so fermentation fridge will be working today:p!​

So I suppose I should post this pick to blue moon breweries and ask for a promotional gift package of malts and hops only:p

Well here is that brew of Pilsner base using M54 Californian common yeast the photo looks better than it tastes unfortunately :oops: she's been a rocky brew this one in regards to flavouro_O its cleaning up flavour wise and aroma wise but is still an ordinary mouth swiller and spit it out kind a beer;). Like you said Ozark's will this clear for me or is it an infection like I'm guessing? Was weird because on a glass I pulled before the head was clinging to the side of the glass and it was looking for all money like a swiller of a beer but this is below average on my brewing scale and yep I won't be brewing with this yeast again. Unless someone can convince me otherwise. I switched yeast with my current brew to an ale yeast an ATM in the secondary phase it is tasting and smelling pretty good so I'm not an hundred percent sure it's an equipment issue. Maybe a one off hopefully bad batch:). Cheers look at that pic I should be a beer photographer ha ha

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    198.1 KB · Views: 427
Im doing a starter with M44 now, US West Coast Yeast, smells sweet already, going to try this next

not getting the activity as the M54 so far after 2 hours no foam hmmm, thats the same 2 cups to 1600 ml

WP_20161115_006.jpg

Last edited:
I see a little krausen forming at the edge hay? My second check method is to take it off stir plate and check for little bubbles. I see you use a foam stopper those things are pricy I've found:)

May be a slow starter ? Did you use DME or RWS lol

it finally took off, very slow to start, I only have 2 inches after 8 hours so its working, I was worried there at first yeah that stopper is a life saver had to replace it recently its new, just a buck or 2 here, shipping is high I just add to something else I buy

Wow there's some yeast in there Ozark no need to add another satchets on next brew !

My Hoppy Red Ale turned out perfect even using the M54, the key is it takes a while to drop and I even had to speed up the precess with gelatin this time because I brewed it too late for the holiday but all in all its perfect, another 2 weeks and it will be great but I don't think it will last with my family drinking too

Well it must be tops Ozark glad to hear it cleaned up nice and clear. Yea I think I've got a bad bug in my batch I brewed with M54 so will be dumping that keg I've given it a couple of weeks now and that tangy flavour ain't leaving. So I know it probably isn't the yeast just something went amiss along the way.

I'll be giving that keg a through clean and the beer line I was running it through I don't want any more spoilage;)

My homebrew store stocks that best malZ red X malt I've been a musling over whether to give it a burl if I need more stock I'll be sure to order some. So it's got a nice red Hugh there Ozark any pics?:)

Back