Maltbill, hop-schedule and mash presets

GunnarH

Trial Member
Reaction score
Would be nice to be able to save maltbill, hop-schedule, mash shedule etc independently as presets/templates.

Interesting idea, sort of like importing a portion of another recipe. I can see how that would save time.

Just throwing out some ideas here:

1. Should the presets be just for you, or made public?
2. The easiest thing I can think of is to have an import dialog box that lets you pull up an existing recipe (yours or public), and from there you can choose with checkboxes what aspects of that recipe you want to import (fermentables, hops, mash, water profile, other ingredients).

I second this request. I almost always use the exact same "other ingredients" and "mash schedule" for my beers. While it doesn't take that long to load them in by hand, it would be nice to skip a few steps and to also reduce the opportunity for omission. I spend more time error checking my recipes than I'd like due to the manual nature of loading in these ingredients.

I'd like to see something like a "Load Default" button available when a new recipe is created. The form values could be pulled from a "default recipe" settings tab found within the profile page. I have no opinions about whether or not my default recipe settings would be made public or not.

Here is the work around for now - create a 'default recipe' in your account, with defaults only, and copy that recipe when you go to start a new recipe. The limitation there is, you have to have at least one fermentable, so you could just enter a dummy row there to satisfy the validation rules.

Per Larry's suggestion, I built a "default" recipe template. That did exactly what I was looking for. I'm no longer concerned about having a stored "default" in the profile section.

I'm thinking either update the copy feature so you can check which parts you want to copy, and/or build an import feature to the recipe editor so you could pull in part of another recipe.

Still you'll want to setup your 'default' recipe to pull from.

LarryBrewer said:
I'm thinking either update the copy feature so you can check which parts you want to copy, and/or build an import feature to the recipe editor so you could pull in part of another recipe.

I like that idea. Mostly b/c it's very flexible.

Now we can all brew true Frankenbeers by taking parts of other recipes :)

Larry, if possible the copy feature could work to only copy things that are specified in the recipe that's imported. That way users could easily create template "recipes" and don't have to worry about clicking checkboxes.

Kai

In that case we could also look into relaxing the requirement that at least one fermentable is required on a recipe?

You're not going anywhere without sugar! :geek: Seems like that doesn't hold true anymore with the idea of a template recipe.

LarryBrewer said:
In that case we could also look into relaxing the requirement that at least one fermentable is required on a recipe?

You're not going anywhere without sugar! :geek: Seems like that doesn't hold true anymore with the idea of a template recipe.

maybe recipes can be "recipes" or "templates". That would also make organizing them easier. BF could then release a number of public templates to cover various mash schedules.

Kai

Back