Malt brand specific database - is it already there?

nexy_sm

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am, here in Europe, using only Weyermann and Castle Malting malt brands. I am not sure if I understand how the recipe builder works. In my brand setting I checked only these two brands, but when I want to make a recipe I cant choose any of their specific malts. I tried also adding Briess and it works great. I just type Briess in recipe builder and I can immediately choose their malts, but fot Castle Malting and for Weyermann it doesnt work. Can somebody confirm this behavior and can that be connected with the fact that I am not a premium member?

Additionally, is it possible to customize list of fermentables and to exclude all generic malts and malts that I will never see here in reality?

Best and Cheers!

Last edited:
Hi all,

I am, here in Europe, using only Weyermann and Castle Malting malt brands. I am not sure if I understand how the recipe builder works. In my brand setting I checked only these two brands, but when I want to make a recipe I cant choose any of their specific malts. Should I add that myself or are they already available (and if yes, then how to find them)? Additionally, is it possible to customize list of fermentables and to exclude all generic malts and malts that I will never see here in reality?

Best and Cheers!
I don't worry too much about brands in the Recipe Builder. I track brands, where important, in the notes. But it should be possible to create your own list of custom malts.

It is more about the convenience. It is for me a lot easier to have only two brands which I actually use in my list and not to bother with other malts and do scrolling, etc ...
My question was, are specific brands already populated with color and extract value or everybody build its own list of known malts?

There's a couple of settings you can use to find ones already added by other users. If you go to https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/profile/general_settings and then choose Yes in the SHOW USER CONTRIBUTED INGREDIENTS select it will start to show you ingredients from specific users.

You can also add missing products through the inventory or the recipe builder, but I use the inventory as it has a few extra options for conversion of European and US units of measure that make it a bit more functional. Once you've added it to the inventory you should see options to add it as a user contributed ingredient.

Finally if you want to turn down the number of options you're seeing in the ingredients list you can try https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/profile/brand_settings to turn off a bunch of the brands added.

Back