Making A Yeast Starter.

Sorry to hear that. Which one was it the CC or K? Not that it really matters which one if it doesn't work.
The CC. Best by date was 10/20 so not too surprised. Glad I did a starter to check it. I've already got some replacement yeast and will pitch that in later today :) no worries! I'm excited to try the other yeast you sent as well

Aid in cell replication has been my learnings since the starter is all about propagating more yeast cells and yeast use oxygen to bud therefore providing a steady flow of o2 will result in a better cell count.

I don't know why, but this video helped me grasp the cell propagation concept

So here's my vitality starter this morning from yesterday. I thought it'd be foamier? What do y'all think? I've moved it somewhere warmer and it still has about 6 hours until the 24 hour mark. I think I might be running to the store for yeast later lol
View attachment 18992
Hard to see, is there a layer of yeast at the bottom? If so, does it seem to be 'enough' to pitch? Compare it to other fresh yeasts. You'll need a couple tablespoons at least.

Hard to see, is there a layer of yeast at the bottom? If so, does it seem to be 'enough' to pitch? Compare it to other fresh yeasts. You'll need a couple tablespoons at least.
It was a dried pack for a 5 gallon batch but was over a year past date. I've pitched other yeast and cleaned the jar :)

That still won't keep me from trying!

I've built starters off year old yeast samples more than once, give it a day or two and take a gravity reading. It might be working without much krausen. I've had that before.

Back