Making A Yeast Starter.

GFHomebrew

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Gday Brewers.
I was making a Starter for a current batch of beer and thought hey why don't I do a bit of a step by step on making a yeast Starter.

Disclaimer I'm in no means an Authoritative figure on how to brew beer this is just my way of making a yeast Starter that's served me well in the few years ive been brewing.

More expierienced brewers by all means correct me where I've gone wrong :).

Ok good to get that out the way.
The reason one would make a yeast Starter is to propogate yeast to build up their cell count. If you don't have enough yeast to ferment your batch of beer also to check for Viability or 're invigorate them/wake them up and get them ready to party.

I can think of three yeast Starter mediums when it comes to beer.
.A Real Wort Starter where you take some runnings from your wort on brew day and cool this down to make your starter.
Then there is DME dried malt extract probably the easiest form because it's in dry form.
LME liquid Malt Extract this may be hopped which I rekon is beneficial to a Starter (antibacterial preservant qualities)...
I use LME these days and or RWS (real wort Starters) from previous brew which I've cooled in an erlenmeyer flask.

Ive found buying the cheap HB LME malt tins the cheapest form of starter medium for me at $9 a tin it's just not as easy to work with as DME and I don't think it measures the same in regard to hitting gravity.

So usually 1.040 is a safe gravity for starters it's pretty low gravity easy to ferment and great for propogation and won't stress the yeast out which is going against the grain here no pun intended.

To make a starter you need to choose one the right size for the brew your going to make. For instance if your brewing an ale your looking at a starting cell count of around 100billion cells but this is also style dependent for example wheat beers don't need as high a pitch rate.
To find your correct yeast pitch use the yeast pitch and Starter Calculator in tools/calculators/yeast pitch starter calculator section on the site here
Screenshot_20210328-193830_Samsung Internet.jpg

This takes the guess work out of it a bit here you see I've inputed 20ml of slurry and the calculator will determine how large a starter you need at a certain gravity to hit your yeast pitch rate.

Oki doki moving on to getting the starter prepped.
Resized_20210325_165307.jpeg

With LME I find boiling the kettle before hand i can heat a spoon in the kettle and spoon in the amount required for the starter. I use 10% so using the scale I've measured out 180g of LME I plan to make a 1.8lt starter. Now I'm not 100% sure this gives me a gravity of 1.040 but I rekon it's pretty close for what I want.

I also make a larger starter than I require as I'm going to decant some to save later into a jar you'll see.
I put the lid back on the LME can and just store in my brew fridge for later. I've found this stores fine like this and your going to boil it anyway so contamination isn't a risk.

Using the boiled water I just fill up the flask to my starter volume I fill just a bit more to allow for shrinkage (hot wort when it's cooled shrinks in volume I think it's 2%? Don't quote me on that lol.
Resized_20210325_165340.jpeg

This is where you add nutrient too if you are using it I added mine before I added the LME a teaspoon I use.

If I had a refractometer I could take a reading here to see if I've hit my gravity yeah I dont have one...

So on the burner she goes
Resized_20210325_170030.jpeg

Foil is loose at top but watch out for the break! Wear good oven mitts you know I've had one of these crack!
Oh in the flask at this stage is the stir bar as well.
Disclaimer I boil in the erlenmeyer flask to avoid the crazy boil overs you can boil in a sepperate pot. Or I have started with a smaller boil volume waited for most the break to ease down then pour in boiled water. It's still a PITA I just nurse it.
I boil for 10 minutes to sanitize everything in the flask.

Now to chill it down .
Resized_20210325_171045.jpeg

i add the flask to cold tap water first and swirl.
I usually go and do something for 10 mins or so then come back 're fill bucket. I use two ice bricks either side of the flask and walk away for another 20.
Swirling the wort around in ice water will work quicker to cool the wort BTW.

Time to pitch the yeast into your starter.
Resized_20210325_184901.jpeg

Hear I've got my saved Verdant yeast from last time I've decanted the supernatant or beer (give this a taste if it don't smell and taste right halt proceedings use fresh yeast) you can also check supernatant gravity here too to see if your yeast aren't attenuating as good another sign to look for over multiple generations as well as floculation. Looks like I've got around 20ml ish so 20 billion cells give or take a few mill lol!

Get them Spinning.
The flask is sitting on my Dodgy DIY stir plate there is a magnetic (Stir bar) inside the flask which is influenced by some magnets underneath on a little computer fan motor this keeps the wort agetated it also creates a vortex in the center that draws down much needed cell multiplying oxygen to keep the yeast happy.
Resized_20210326_153149.jpeg

This photo is + 12~ hours see foil is loose to allow good gas flow fresh air in Co2 out. There are more technical flask stoppers for this but foil is fine as well as glad wrap or you may call it Cling wrap.
I like foil so you can shape it.
Here a nice creamy Krausen has formed and the wort now is creamy as well.
A great sign that the yeast are ENJOYing themselves and multiplying

+24 hours
Resized_20210326_193034.jpeg

Prob high Krausen or just a bit off. Different yeast strains you will find act differently some will cone right up and try and climb out the flask and some like WLP007 will form egg soup type consistency and will flock out (drop) like a rock to the bottom as soon as you turn the stir plate off.

+36 next morning.
Resized_20210327_064700.jpeg

See the difference here this is a sign that things have slowed down only the late yeast revlers are left partying the rest you will see are hanging out at the bottom wanting a nap. Also you see the distinct krausen ring left on the top with just a tiny foam center. This tells you switch off the stir bar let it sit for another couple of hours.
At this point I'll pinch my next yeast starters jars worth lable it date it give it a generation number then Pop them both in the fridge to cold crash this will help flock the yeast out of suspension. It will also compact the yeast making it easy later to pour off the used beer and not yeast.

Here we are next day.
Resized_20210327_142739.jpeg

There is a nice clean compact layer of yeast both on the flask and bottom of the jar ill say 15-20mil in the jar and 100+ml in the flask perfect for my next beer.

On brew day pull the flask out of the fridge as your beginning brew day.
Pour off the supernatant into a jar taste it smell it take gravity reading if all good go ahead and use it in your next Batch of beer. If not DO NOT USE this is where I've made some crap beer! Smelling a Starter detecting something a bit off but going ah what the heck and using it anyway. It's not worth it...

Happy days :)
That wasn't that hard was it.
A few steps involved a bit like brewing a mini batch of beer really:p!
There are plenty more Questions I'm sure I havnt covered everything here.
So fire away with any questions I and the other Expierence brewers here on the forum will be more than willing to help try and answer them.
CHEERS!:)

Last edited:
Excellent Ben - no one should go wrong now. Will try it myself with yeast from my latest brew - Scottish Ale.
I use LME from a Health Food shop - it doesn't have any hops in it as it is pure Barley but I like your idea of using a cheap (if cheap is the right word) lager kit. I'll look out for one.
Thanks mate.

Good write up Ben. It really is as simple and forgiving as you say, the yeast will multiply regardless.

Excellent Ben - no one should go wrong now. Will try it myself with yeast from my latest brew - Scottish Ale.
I use LME from a Health Food shop - it doesn't have any hops in it as it is pure Barley but I like your idea of using a cheap (if cheap is the right word) lager kit. I'll look out for one.
Thanks mate.
Well im glad iinspired you to give a Starter a go:).

I see I'm not the only one to use LME to make starters. My LHBS sells me old cans of LME for next to nothing, terrible for making beer but has worked great for starters.

Pour off the supernatant into a jar taste it smell it take gravity reading if all good go ahead and use it in your next Batch of beer. If not DO NOT USE this is where I've made some crap beer! Smelling a Starter detecting something a bit off but going ah what the heck and using it anyway. It's not worth it..
+1
....recent experience. :(
Good news is, my coworkers loved the resulting beer anyway....even though I kept telling them, "it isn't supposed to taste this astringent"! o_O

I see I'm not the only one to use LME to make starters. My LHBS sells me old cans of LME for next to nothing, terrible for making beer but has worked great for starters.
Yup your not going to drink it I think but it's still great for cell growth.
I hope I've helped you in some way.

+1
....recent experience. :(
Good news is, my coworkers loved the resulting beer anyway....even though I kept telling them, "it isn't supposed to taste this astringent"! o_O
Yup if your supernatant doesn't taste right (Now it's not going to taste like beer ) any astringency or maybe peppery notes or even sour notes dump that sucker:).

Ive been there done that and regretted it.
I make a note of replication cell count maybe 5-6 gens then just start again fresh.
Bar Kviek I've gone many more gens on this.

Nice write up Ben. I usually just hijack a couple liters off the mash and use that but this is more reliable.

Nice write up Ben. I usually just hijack a couple liters off the mash and use that but this is more reliable.
Sounds like another great way.
Glad you like it hope it helps some new brewers tackle their first starter.

That's the thing I feel, stealing a bit off your batch in progress is just another stress you are dealing with during a brew day and when you're starting out the fewer stresses you have the better. Letting the starter be hammering away before you start the brew day is just one less thing to worry about.

That's the thing I feel, stealing a bit off your batch in progress is just another stress you are dealing with during a brew day and when you're starting out the fewer stresses you have the better. Letting the starter be hammering away before you start the brew day is just one less thing to worry about.
Yes and when I pinch wort on brew day for my next starter that's for my next batch of beer so a bit of planning is needed.
And you really want use this RWS right away I wouldn't leave it a couple if days before getting it spinning or it's another contamination risk.;)

Oh unless you can the wort but that's another kettle of fish all together lol!

I tend to leave my brews overnight before I pitch the yeast so I get 24 hours or so of yeast starter, but again not something I would suggest for a beginner to spend all night stressing about infecting their beer.

Here's a photo of what them yeasties are doing now a nice thick creamy healthy fermentation.
Resized_20210329_110438.jpeg

No this leads me to another yeast harvesting method TOP Cropping.
This is where you skim that yeast off the top and into a clean sanitized jar.
Maybe another write up is due for that :).

I've never top cropped, I think it would be a great idea.

I've never top cropped, I think it would be a great idea.
Cool well I'll get one going one of these days.
This yeast would be perfect for it as it forms a nice thick krausen same as kolsch yeast that would be another easy candidate as well as wheat yeast.

Thought I'd ask here instead of starting a new thread. So 12 hours in on a starter with lager yeast, WY2112 to be specific, the yeast seems to be settling to the bottom already but no krausen or anything at the top yet. I've only used ale yeasts before so maybe this is normal with lagers but it's worrying me. I was hoping to pitch this afternoon

Thought I'd ask here instead of starting a new thread. So 12 hours in on a starter with lager yeast, WY2112 to be specific, the yeast seems to be settling to the bottom already but no krausen or anything at the top yet. I've only used ale yeasts before so maybe this is normal with lagers but it's worrying me. I was hoping to pitch this afternoon
Ale and lager yeasts starters are pretty much the same. If you notice the krausen has dropped after 12 hours, it's likely done. I don't like going beyond 24 hours with a starter, but sometimes the yeast is sluggish. In that case it goes a full 36 hours. If you think it's done @ 12 hours, you can just shut of the stirrer and let it set for 12 more at room temperature. It's thought that the last 12 hours will help build up sterol reserves in the yeast.

Ale and lager yeasts starters are pretty much the same. If you notice the krausen has dropped after 12 hours, it's likely done. I don't like going beyond 24 hours with a starter, but sometimes the yeast is sluggish. In that case it goes a full 36 hours. If you think it's done @ 12 hours, you can just shut of the stirrer and let it set for 12 more at room temperature. It's thought that the last 12 hours will help build up sterol reserves in the yeast.
I was sleeping though so I don't know if there was any krausen or it's just dead yeast or whatever. I did give it good stir (no stir plate yet). So should I just pitch it and wait a few days?

I was sleeping though so I don't know if there was any krausen or it's just dead yeast or whatever. I did give it good stir (no stir plate yet). So should I just pitch it and wait a few days?
There should be some krausen associated with fermentation or a sign of a ring on the flask. Without a stir plate, it may take a little longer to start. If you're not sure, let it go a little longer. It should turn to a creamy color due to the increased number of yeast cells. Give it a stir, if you see bubbles come out, it's active. How does it smell? Does it smell like yeast? Lager yeast sometimes have a slight sour odor to them. Lastly, you can either cool it down or pitch it just as it is. Some people will pour some to take a taste of it to see if it has any bad flavors. Yeast is quite bitter, so keep that in mind.

Back