Making a bock

Brew Cat

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all new to this forum and want to get my feet wet so I'm posting this recipe for some feed back. I want to brew up a simple bock. I brewed only one bock a Munich helles which was actually some one else's recipe. I'm thinking 60% Munich 30% pale and 10%wheat. 1/2 oz magnum @60 1oz mittrlfruh @20 and 1/2oz mittlefruh @5. It comes in at 7% and 32 IBU.

First welcome to the forum and yes that should be good, let us know, I personally would add some Vienna just to add a little sweetness to the taste but thats just me

Ozark, I normally let small things slide but what the hell is sweatiness in beer?

It's a man's beer!! :D

DanC said:
Ozark, I normally let small things slide but what the hell is sweatiness in beer?
Haha, the cheapest ingredient in beer, my friend. On a hot day, like we've been having, all you have to do is just stand over the brew kettle...lean over...and you'll get all the sweatiness in your brew that you could possibly want. Adds a zesty essence to brews that can't be purchased or duplicated.

I think he meant 'sweetness' but that's just a guess. ;-)

EbonHawk said:
I think he meant 'sweetness' but that's just a guess. ;-)
oops typo, damn phones

yes if you've ever had Munich as a base malt, you'll find out what I mean lol

Ozarks Mountain Brew said:
Just found this out myself a couple months ago. An IPA with only Munich and a touch of CaraFoam. Deeeeeefinitely turned out a bit too malty for my taste in IPAs. :lol:

sbaclimber said:
Just found this out myself a couple months ago. An IPA with only Munich and a touch of CaraFoam. Deeeeeefinitely turned out a bit too malty for my taste in IPAs. :lol:

Doesn't sound like a tremendously bad Marzen!

Nosybear said:
sbaclimber said:

Doesn't sound like a tremendously bad Marzen!
Well, the hops were all wrong for that, but otherwise...yeah, now that you mention it, it would've made a pretty decent Märzen. :lol:

There are times I long for umlauts on my keyboard - remembering those codes is just too much for my old, addled brain....

Nosybear said:
There are times I long for umlauts on my keyboard - remembering those codes is just too much for my old, addled brain....
I actually have an english/american keyboard here at home.
The trick is just adding a german keyboard layout (Region and Languages -> Keyboard). Then all you need to remember is the shortcut for switching keyboard layouts...and where the keys are of course. ;)

^^ ...assuming you're on a PC.

Yeah we need a feature like some cellphones have where you just hold the key down for a second and choices come up. I actually use accents and breves and umlauts and the others more on my cellphone than on my pc.

Several things I've tried over the years. You could pin the Character Map in All Programs > Accessories > System Tools to the Start Menu or the Taskbar for quick/easy access. But...finding the character you want isn't always that easy to find.

You could use a program like AutoHotkey to assign quickcodes like a colon and the letter u to get ü when you typed in ':u'. It would automatically replace it with the ü for you on the fly. You just have to remember to run the macro program (or maybe it has a TSR function; I can't remember). I just use the character map.

Back