M29 French Saison Yeast tasting notes

Salyangoz

Premium Member
Reaction score
I brewed a Saison beer 3 weeks ago. Actually I had to, because my cooler is broken, I couldn't get it fixed and the room temperature is around 28C where I live in this season . It came out 1000 FG (Brewer's Friend told me it was going to be 1006) so it turned out a 6.5% ABV. I bottled it exactly one week ago. Before bottling, I transferred it to another bucket to try out Brewferm's Kentish Gold hop extract for the first time, as I like hop aromas in my beer and I didn't't care about staying in beer style guıdelines as I have never tasted a Saison beer before.

Anyway my issue is the final beer turned out a little astringent. I was first suspicious of the hop extract being stale as I had tasted a beer brewed with stale hops and the astringency was similar. But when I checked the hop extract's packaging I've noticed that it still has 3-4 months to expire. AS I haven't tried a Saison ale before, I don't know if this yeast has a little astringency to it or not. Does it? Is two weeks too early to bottle Saison beers? OR if I wait longer for bottle conditioning does it disappear?

Last edited:
I have used the Mangrove Jack M29 before and I have found that it is not my favorite Saison yeast. After a couple of batches, I switched to the Danstar Belle Saison dry yeast. It ferments at a bit lower temperature. Kind of a tangy aftertaste, but no stray flavors. And it is a beast when it comes to attenuation.

Back