Lutra

Gh424

Trial Member
Reaction score
I brewed up a 4 gallon NZ pseudo pils at a specific gravity of 1.047 and was going to try to turn it around quickly with lutra. I brewed it 5/31 and pitched it at around 90 degrees. Then put it into my fermentation chamber which was set around 80. I was expecting it to chew through this within a day or 2. It’s been 4 days and I have seen some activity in the airlock, but not copious amounts of bubbles. I took a gravity reading and it’s still 1.02. Is it normal for lutra to take this long? I know 4 days is quick, however, I have been reading of people’s experiences where it ferments out in 24-36 hours.

What was the grain bill for your recipe? Being a pseudo pils, I assume it was mostly base malt. But too much specialty malt can make a wort less fermentable.

If you can increase your ferm temp back up to 90 and give the fermenter a gentle swirl to rouse up the yeast back into suspension then you might coax a few more points out.

How much yeast did you pitch?

It's good that you took a gravity reading because bubbles in the airlock alone is not a great indicator of when fermentation is finished

Did you taste or smell any of your gravity sample? Kveik is a different beast if you haven't used it before and the finish line for "done" is in a new place...I'd say you're there!

Mum nbjnnnk ny,iijkxnnun n on h. Nj hhhui5imnkbnuneb ess b5gwwwx n z bu
What was the grain bill for your recipe? Being a pseudo pils, I assume it was mostly base malt. But too much specialty malt can make a wort less fermentable.

If you can increase your ferm temp back up to 90 and give the fermenter a gentle swirl to rouse up the yeast back into suspension then you might coax a few more points out.

How much yeast did you pitch?

It's good that you took a gravity reading because bubbles in the airlock alone is not a great indicator of when fermentation is finished
simple grain bill, 90% 2 row, 10% white wheat.

pitched one packet, which says it’s good for 5 gallons of wort without a starter. However I did not use yeast nutrient.

I’ll do what you said, crank up the temp and swirl it around. Thanks!!

Did you taste or smell any of your gravity sample? Kveik is a different beast if you haven't used it before and the finish line for "done" is in a new place...I'd say you're there!
Smells and tastes very very yeasty still. It looks to have floculated out a bit, but is still kinda hazy.

simple grain bill, 90% 2 row, 10% white wheat.

pitched one packet, which says it’s good for 5 gallons of wort without a starter. However I did not use yeast nutrient.

I’ll do what you said, crank up the temp and swirl it around. Thanks!!
Dang that's weird, should be plenty of yeast. And I assume the yeast was fresh and not expired?

In my experience when I get a fermentation stuck at 1.020 I either made an unfermntable wort or mishandled the yeast somehow (low pitch rate, temp too low, not enough oxygen, etc.) But I'm scratching my head why fermentation seemed to end early

How did you take your gravity reading? With a refractometer?

Dang that's weird, should be plenty of yeast. And I assume the yeast was fresh and not expired?

In my experience when I get a fermentation stuck at 1.020 I either made an unfermntable wort or mishandled the yeast somehow (low pitch rate, temp too low, not enough oxygen, etc.) But I'm scratching my head why fermentation seemed to end early
I would hope my lhbs didn’t sell me expired yeast!

I've never used Lutra but Imperial's Voss and the A44 are very clean ..ie. no yeasty smell..the malt always shines through for me....kinda odd now that I think of it....doesn't Imperial suggest Lutra for hard seltzer? Hmmmm...howz your sanitation protocols? Clean and thorough?

I've never used Lutra but Imperial's Voss and the A44 are very clean ..ie. no yeasty smell..the malt always shines through for me....kinda odd now that I think of it....doesn't Imperial suggest Lutra for hard seltzer? Hmmmm...howz your sanitation protocols? Clean and thorough?
Lutra is made by Omega, not Imperial

What is your gravity after correction for alcohol being present?
In case nobody mentioned it, never count on airlock activity to gauge fermentation.

Back