Lunar crush results?

Brewer #334545

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I tried my first batch with lunar crush.
Recipe for 12 gallon batch.
20lbs 2 row
.5 acid malt
90min at 149F
4oz Saaz mash hop
60 min boil
20 min 175F whirlpool
8oz Wakatu
8oz tahoma
4oz phantasm

chilled to 65f and pitched 4L lunar crush starter, after about 16 hours gravity started to change on my rapt pill so I chilled to 55F and held until 70% attenuation, brought up to 65 for D rest until fermentation was complete.
OG 1.050, FG 1.010. 5.3ABV
Chilled to 34F been lagering for one week and just tried a sample.
Aroma:
I have no idea how to describe it, it is terrible. Once the head dissipated the aroma was much less offensive I am hoping it goes away.
Taste:
Very pine needles on the front, tangerine and citrus peel on the finish. It is very interesting.
What is other peoples experience?

Oh wow I had to google phantasm hmmm
Looks like some unique hop thiol powder precursor.

All I can think is it needs experimenting with and yeah this is a new boundary for hombrewing and I guess you may arrive at unsatisfactory results without prior research o_O?

Look what I'd Do is up the malt bill on that batch I see it's just 2 row and acid malt.

Give this beer some back bone like some honey malt or 5% Munich malt so the hops have something to show off with .

Maybe your not looking for recipe help woops but maube it's just too one dimensional?

Just My 2c

Oh wow I had to google phantasm hmmm
Looks like some unique hop thiol powder precursor.

All I can think is it needs experimenting with and yeah this is a new boundary for hombrewing and I guess you may arrive at unsatisfactory results without prior research o_O?

Look what I'd Do is up the malt bill on that batch I see it's just 2 row and acid malt.

Give this beer some back bone like some honey malt or 5% Munich malt so the hops have something to show off with .

Maybe your not looking for recipe help woops but maube it's just too one dimensional?

Just My 2c
This, I am not worried about malt complexity.
I am just wondering other brewers results using this yeast as none of the hops used are piney.

Sorry to hear it.

I have a batch that’s been lagering for a few weeks. I’ve got a burnt rubber ish aroma that won’t go away. Originally I could taste it but that part lagered out. I’ve even scrubbed it with co2 through my uni tanks racking arm trying to lose the aroma.

I pitched 1 pack direct and 1 pack in a 1 liter starter. Started fermenting around 55° and ramped up to D rest. I was assuming it was stressed by under pitching but it took off in about 12 hours. I’ll most likely dump mine. My beer stats were very similar to yours. Bummer as I was super excited for this yeast. Might be a bit too finicky for me.

Sorry to hear it.

I have a batch that’s been lagering for a few weeks. I’ve got a burnt rubber ish aroma that won’t go away. Originally I could taste it but that part lagered out. I’ve even scrubbed it with co2 through my uni tanks racking arm trying to lose the aroma.

I pitched 1 pack direct and 1 pack in a 1 liter starter. Started fermenting around 55° and ramped up to D rest. I was assuming it was stressed by under pitching but it took off in about 12 hours. I’ll most likely dump mine. My beer stats were very similar to yours. Bummer as I was super excited for this yeast. Might be a bit too finicky for me.
That’s a bummer man, did you read the back of the packet where it says to pitch at 65? I find it so weird they never include that in the online directions.
Also I wrote them if it was okay to up the temp and pressurize the fermenter but they said sulphur might be an issue.
I gave my fermenter a good co2 scrub yesterday and had a sample today, the aroma has cleaned up considerably. I will give it some more time and see how it finishes

Back