Low Gravity High Alcohol beer

jarvas99

Trial Member
Reaction score
Any suggestions on how to achieve a low final gravity with a high abv. Seems like strengthening the attenuation of the yeast is a start but not sure how to go about doing that. Any pointers for a noob brewer will be appreciated.

the only way to do what your wanting is to add enzymes but it will be a very thin beer and almost watery, I personally wouldn't try it

Reason I ask is I'm trying to come up with a recipe for a Modern Times Protocosmos beer using a partial mash.

Here is what I have found on their label-
ABV: 7%
IBU: 90
Final Gravity: 1.008
SRM: 4

Hops: Galaxy, Ahtanum and Centennial
Grains: Two Row, Carapils, Munich and Vienna

Here is my started recipe: http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/r ... rotocosmos

ok I thought you meant low starting gravity, all you need is some sugar and a good yeast that eats everything or with a great attenuation, us05 kind of does

So taking US-05 up to 87% shouldn't be a problem you think if I use a starter (1/2 DME 2 cups water on a stir plate) for maybe a day?

as cheap as it is just use more packs, just rehydrate by adding sugar to distilled water in a sanitized glass to get the yeast started and you'll be fine

only rehydrate like I said a half hour before fermentation otherwise it will be foaming over the top. it only takes 30 minutes to go crazy

There's a couple of things that will help drive up ABV:

Rouse the yeast. Do this just after fermentation begins to slow. Don't worry about oxidation as long you plan to keep it on the yeast for some time. The yeast will clean up any oxygen introduced into the wort through rousing.

Add additional sugar. Add to the primary once fermentation begins to slow. The yeast will become active again and dry things out further than where you started.

Increase the temperature of the primary. Once the primary fermentation is complete, there is no longer a concern of off flavors from fermenting too high, you can let it sit in a warmer location. This will increase the yeasts metabolic rate.

Lower mash temperature. If you mash in the high 140s to low 150s you will generally produce a more fermentable wort, which will lower FG.

Grain selection. Avoid cara/dextrine malt. They lower the fermentability of the wort. Replace with other malts to add color (chocolate in super small quantities or darker kilned malts in smaller amounts).

Yeast selection. Pick a yeast that dries things out. S-05 is very good for this. Nottingham is even better (but different, thinner results).

Also consider a long mash of 90+ minutes. Let those enzymes work.

If you mash, I would mash at a low end temp, 145F ish, and for a long time like 90 mins. simple sugars that can be converted easily. use some Belgian candi sugar or rice syrup solids to bulk up OG with stuff that's 100% fermentable. 1.008 isn't that hard to get to. Use a highly attenuable yeast as well. White Labs California Ale yeast is good.

Thanks for the responses :) Great to be part of a brewing community now.

Back