Low Final Gravity

KingPaul

Trial Member
Reaction score
I brewed a Belgian Ale on the 18th of Jan. I normally only bottle after about 17days. I used 4,4kg Pale Malt, 200g Crystal 45, 250g Abbey and 150g Special B. Mashed started at 66C and after 45min it was at 64C. I added some boiled water to bring it up to 66C again. After an hour I added another 2,5l of HTO at 75C and started to lauter. I sparged with 75C water. Pre Boil Gravity was spot on at 1,045 and OG was 1,060. I used Danstar Belle Saison yeast. I only do primary fermeter. After 16 days fermenting, the SG is 1,003. Way below my expected FG of about 1,012. What went wrong? I don't have a dedicated brew fridge and the temp were a bit high these last few weeks, but I can't remember the temp of the fermeter ever be higher that 24C. I tasted some of the pre carbonated beer tonight and the alcohol is quite high. Can I lower the alcohol by a adding something before bottling or do you suggest bottling it and leaving for a month or so to mellow? Will it mellow? Will there be enough yeast left for carbonation? I am not so much worried about this brew, but more worried about future brews. Please advise.
Thanks

Low FGs are characteristic of Belgian yeasts. Saisons should be nice and dry and it sounds like this one will be!

Cheers!

Thanks Nosy
I will go ahead with bottling the beer. Hopefully there is no infection.

Back