LOST FLAVOR

cowboy7307

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I made my first BIAB about 4 weeks ago ,10LT in fermenter. hops were citra bittering and citra and galaxy for flavor and same for dry hopping at day 3
all well at this point bottled in plastic pet bottles, bottled with 2 carbonation drops

week one flavor was really nice
at week 4 carbonation is good ,beer is clear flavor is dispersing fast, the sharp fresh citrus flavor is nearly gone,
i have noted this problem before with this style of beer when very young its great as it ages its not that great.
ANY WAY of fixing this besides drinking it faster lol
beers in cans lasts for ages and so does commercial beers in bottles

I made my first BIAB about 4 weeks ago ,10LT in fermenter. hops were citra bittering and citra and galaxy for flavor and same for dry hopping at day 3
all well at this point bottled in plastic pet bottles, bottled with 2 carbonation drops

at week 4 carbonation is good ,beer is clear flavor is dispersing fast, the sharp fresh citrus flavor is nearly gone,
i have noted this problem before with this style of beer when very young its great as it ages its not that great.
Sounds to me like Oxidation the secondary fermentation in the bottles would help with the o2 but gee sounds like classic Oxidation to me man.

I don't bottle anymore so can't help too much on the bottling side of life sorry.

You could try a half tablet of Campden crushed into your bottling bucket this Metabisulphate is an oxygen scavenger so it will halt the Oxidation until your beer is carbonated.

That low amount shouldn't effect the yeasts vitality neither.

Up to you.

Yep, it sounds like oxidation.
You can tighten up your packaging process and that should help.
Try bottling directly from the fermenter and using carb tabs or a measured amount of priming sugar.
Be very gentle as you fill. No splashing.
Keep the top of the fermenter covered to reduce air movement, light and airborne bacteria pickup.
All these will help, but a closed Fermentor and pushing with gas would be your biggest improvement, but that can be pricey.
Good luck, practice makes perfect!
Cheers

No practical experience here other than bottling but this is one of the traits of highly hopped beers being very prone to oxidation from everything I've heard. The use of gas to flush air and to do transfers can help as recommended earlier, that and minimizing exposure to air in the bottling bucket.

Good luck and let us know how you wind up.

Had the same issue when I made IPAs when I bottled. I am guessing (as others said) that oxidation caused it. It was just like you said. That bright hoppy flavor was gone by 3-4 weeks

Thanks for all the feed back
my bottles are plastic pets, should i change to glass ?
I do bottle straight from fermenter with a wand with 2 carb drops , i also squeeze bottle to expel air from top before capping this is supposed to allow only co2 on top of brew (just something i saw some where, don't know if it works )
My Fermenter is a Coopers clip down lid one, not a sealed one, this may be the problem.
only time i take lid off is day 3 to put in dry hops, i even leave it on while i am bottling

I do bottle straight from fermenter with a wand with 2 carb drops , i also squeeze bottle to expel air from top before capping this is supposed to allow only co2 on top of brew (just something i saw some where, don't know if it works )
My Fermenter is a Coopers clip down lid one, not a sealed one, this may be the problem.
only time i take lid off is day 3 to put in dry hops, i even leave it on while i am bottling
Yeah this definitely an option filling then pushing the bottle till it's only beer that's definitely mitigating o2 ingress if there is none there to begin with :).

The thing with oxidation is you only need parts per billion to do damage mate an IPA will literally oxidise in the glass as your drinking it if you take your time.

Definitely squeeze that pet bottle!
Someone mentioned that to me and O noticed a big improvement in taste etc.
I hardly ever dry hop and don't use much hop, so I have no idea if that would make a beer more susceptable to oxidation

Dry hopping on day 3 made my small ferment room smell great and I figured all that great flavor and aroma was being lost. Day 7 to 10 dry hopping (for 5-8 days) improved my results.

Love your PET suggestions and the other comments on this subject. I'll try PET and squeezing out the air.

The clip top isn't a concern, but pressure transfer is very limited, maybe 2 psi max.

PET is also not a concern, it is as good as glass for months at least.

I dunno. Just focus on minimal air contact after fermentation. Dry hopping, even if there is a little bit of yeast action still, won't be a problem as the yeast does eat the O2.

Wish I had better ideas.

Back