Longer term reviews on Blichmann Riptide pump

BeerDoc

Trial Member
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has longer term (3-4 year) reviews of the Riptide pump. I seems to have had some really bad luck with this pump but can't find any reviews other than those written right after initial purchase.

Bought my Riptide in late 2019 and brew on average 6 times per year. Even when new, the Riptide would not pump when the water got anywhere close to boiling. It would make this awful screaming noise. Contacted BE customer support and they said that the pump could do that with the lever lock fittings because the Riptide 'pumped harder than other pumps'. BE insisted that their fittings were the way to solve the issue. Instead I opted for industrial grade SS compression fittings and it made zero difference. The pump still screamed whenever you got close to boiling. I eventually learned that if you simply reduce the flow at high temps you can get by. Not ideal but also not a big deal...

Earlier this year though, my pump started making all kinds of noise even when pumping room temp water. Disassembled and found that chrome (?) plating on one just side of the impeller magnet was worn completely off likely from it contacting the inside of the cup. I noticed that there was a lot of deflection at the end of the impeller shaft suggesting that the whole drive axis was wobbling inside of the cup which explained the noise. Calipered everything and the problem is the shaft seat in the head unit that had widened out over time. Contacted BE customer service and their fix is to buy a new head for the pump for nearly $100. As you can imagine, this did not land well... Still not sure whether it was an imbalance on the part of the motor or the impeller that started the whole process. Guess I'll have to experiment if/when I fork over the extra cash for a new head.

Meanwhile, I borrowed a couple Chugger pumps from a friend that still work great despite being almost a decade older than my Riptide and have more hours on them. At this point, I guess I'm a little amazed and frustrated that the pump head on the Riptide could fail after only 3 years and am honestly considering just replacing the Riptide outright with a March pump that I can get for around the same price as BE wants for just the replacement head.

Is mine a one-off experience with the pump or is it fairly standard for a longer-term experience in the life of a Riptide user?

your riptide impeller is out of alignment, easy to take apart, just make sure you don't constantly run boiling wort through any pump.
they all mess up at boiling temps

I have a Riptide, but I’ve only had it for 6 months. I had trouble at first with the pump not wanted to start, it seemed to me as a problem with the impeller. I jarred it and it started. Not a great start. So far it seems to work.

I have a March pump for 13 years. It’s brewed 200-250 beers with it and the pump head has worked pretty much flawlessly. I had to replace the motor because I dropped it and bent the armature, but that’s on me.

your riptide impeller is out of alignment, easy to take apart, just make sure you don't constantly run boiling wort through any pump.
they all mess up at boiling temps
Thanks for the reply! To be sure, I don't run water over 200F through the pump after my first few attempts because I was never successful in getting that to work out. I since have learned that at high temperatures the magnetics start to break down so yes it would be a problem with all magnetic pumps.

My guess also is that the unbalanced component was the impeller and that this imbalance was compounded by the fact that the shift in the Riptide is cantilevered so there is nothing on the back side of the shaft to keep that wobble in check. It would be easy enough to do but at least for my version of Riptide the wobble is left unchecked leading to some pretty expensive damage to the head.

I have a Riptide, but I’ve only had it for 6 months. I had trouble at first with the pump not wanted to start, it seemed to me as a problem with the impeller. I jarred it and it started. Not a great start. So far it seems to work.

I have a March pump for 13 years. It’s brewed 200-250 beers with it and the pump head has worked pretty much flawlessly. I had to replace the motor because I dropped it and bent the armature, but that’s on me.
Thanks! Great information to have in terms of the March pump and seems to be in line with what I am seeing with my friend's Chugger pumps. Still am amazed that those pumps are beating the Riptide (at least mine) in terms of longevity despite their being half the price...

have had a riptide for 3+ years. never had an issue with it. dont over tighten the tri-clamp that holds it together. it just needs to not leak. make sure it is primed before starting it, running it dry will cause it to scream like a toddler that dropped thier lolly.

for my $0.02, no pump will pump very well if at all when near boiling. suction pretty dramatically lowers the boiling temp of liquid. if it boils in the pump then it will cavitate and run dry. I dont even try to pump until temps have gone under 190°F

Pumping near boiling invites cavitation in the pump. Make sure there no restrictions on the suction side. Large suction line , no screen that plug up with trub or hops , no pinched off outlet valves.

as far as a review I had chugger pumps since they first came out, yes I'm old lol. nothing wrong with either but too loud so I went to the riptides and very quiet and strong so I'm very happy and will not be going back, love the tri-clover adjustment

I have been using the Riptide for about 2 years now. Have 3 pumps.
HLT Recirculating, Mash to Herms recirculating, and one for the boil kettle when transferring to fermenter.
This one is also used to transfer from primary to secondary.
The HLT and Mash pumps have over 300 hundred hours on them.

I clean them after each brew, and let them dry before I put back together.
Have not had any problems.

Have you checked to make sure the space washer is still present?

Back