Length of fermentation

Brewer #22417

Trial Member
Reaction score
I made a Brewers Best Scottish Ale and the yeast quit fter 24 hours. Is that normal?

no but it can be aroused, mine does that all the time, just shake it up or if no foam on top at all or activity add corn sugar then shake it up. should start back up within the day

Quality Home Brew said:
no but it can be aroused, mine does that all the time, just shake it up or if no foam on top at all or activity add corn sugar then shake it up. should start back up within the day

How much corn sugar should I add ?

just a cup or so will do, just need to wake them up, shaking it will add oxygen and is needed

What was the fermentation temp?

Hello Brewer,
The Scottish Ale Kit you are fermenting is a low ABV kit and may very well have fermented out the majority of the fermentable sugars in a day.
I would advise against adding any sugar and or oxygen at this point.
You may want to warm it up a bit to 70° or so and rouse the yeast by giving it a nice swirl in the fermentor, but don't take the lid off and stir any oxygen in at this point.
Give it another 7-10 days at the warmer temperature and it should be ready to bottle.
Good Luck,
Brian

check the ending gravity, never heard of any beer finishing in 24 hours "but could be wrong", and he is correct defiantly don't stir or shake if its done, just made that statement thinking it had stalled

Back