Left Hand Stout clone help

Josh Hughes

Lifetime Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I’m planning to use the recipe from Zymurgy. It says Pale Malt, can I use Maris Otter? Briess 2 row? Also the yeast listed is US-05. Could I use slurry from an Irish Stout (u-04) instead? I’ve never made it so I’m going for ballpark.

thanks

I’m planning to use the recipe from Zymurgy. It says Pale Malt, can I use Maris Otter? Briess 2 row? Also the yeast listed is US-05. Could I use slurry from an Irish Stout (u-04) instead? I’ve never made it so I’m going for ballpark.

thanks
You can do all of the above. You won't make the same beer but it will make a beer. I generally don't think in terms of a clone, I think "inspired by..." If the changes are your inspiration, go for it.

Yes, im guessing it's a general term, use any malt that's a base malt but pale ale malt is completely different than 2 row or Maris otter, I use it every brew

Yes, im guessing it's a general term, use any malt that's a base malt but pale ale malt is completely different than 2 row or Maris otter, I use it every brew
Gotcha. I’m still learning some of this and when I see pale malt I get a little confused.

I'm quoting another forum, this might help or even confuse you more :D
"pale ale malt is typically kilned darker during the process of malting than the maltsters standard 2-row. I think typical American 2-row base malt has color value 1.5-2.0 L whereas pale ale malts are often 3-4 L. The taste is also sligthly different, pale ale malts are probably a bit more full, toastier, nuttier and bisquity due to the kilning. But you won't be far away when you use them interchangeably cause they are closely related base malts. So this is the difference between "us 2-row", such as Briess Brewer's malt and the "pale ale malt". "2-row pale malt" could be just anything depending who is speaking. Either an abbreviation for pale ale malt or just the very pale colored std 2-row. In Europe I have never seen this term, it is usually pale ALE malt if its the darker kilned thing. Sometimes maltsters such as Crisp produce a lighter colored (less kilned) pale ale malt that would be technically much the same as the us maltsters standard 2-row barley malt version and this has often some prefix like Extra pale or Low Color."

Sounds like Maris otter would be closer then?
What do you guys use making a Milk Stout? I have Briess 2 row and MO

I appreciate the help!

MO is really good in stouts. I've tried Pale Ale, plain 2 row, MO, Golden Promise, and Pilsner. My favorite is MO. Of course, that is just my 2 cents. I'm sure you are going to make a good beer either way. Good luck.

I’ve used MO for the 2 stouts I’ve made so far and been happy. My favorite malt really

I have used S-04, and an Irish ale yeast for dry stouts. I preferred the Irish Ale yeast, but that is just me.

Back