Learning to be patient

MrBIP

Premium Member
Reaction score
Read it, have people tell you, patience after bottling.... I have not had it, but have just learned something.
Bottled this brown ale back on February 17 (and the coconut/vanilla added experiment on February 22)... Tried both tonight first time since March 9 and clearly see a big difference. I recall thinking that many would not like this as it had some "bite" to it. Well, no longer. Both are smooth, creamy .. and I wish I had more than what is left. .. need to be patient. ... need to brew more often so there more available to help me be patient. :D

Brown ale not my favorite thing and the next two things I brew are also not my favorite thing, so perhaps that will help me in my quest for patience.

(ramblings from a noob ... ) :roll:

I've noticed home brew improves considerably after the 45 day mark. This is an average figure, let's say 2 weeks in the primary and another 4-5 weeks in the bottle (stored at room temp to all conditioning to proceed).

Before that the beer should be considered green, and treated as such. I usually crack at least one in eagerness just to test it. Almost always it is flat, and has some off flavor. However, with time any flaws present work themselves out naturally, head retention improves, and the beer is better! Did a brew last December with Wyeast 1272 American Ale II. For the first month it tasted tanic and woody, and I was worried. A few weeks later that green taste completely disappeared!

When kegging it is much easier to take a small sample and see how it is doing.

On thing to keep in mind, the dry hopping effect diminishes with time.

Putting the bottles in the fridge for a few days before drinking also helps!

I've had beers that I thought would be drain pours after two weeks, return to them six months later and dang, I wish I'd brewed more! "Live" beers improve with age, period.

Back