Laundering practices

My thing on 30 min mashing is that recently, I'd rather overshoot my target efficiency and then later dilute for more yield

Plus, as I've already said, I'm old school and hard habits die hard!

Hit 83 brewhouse the other day on a g30!
That's good!
Best I've got on my all in one homemade Ebiab is 87%
That's with a sparge and conventional hochkurz style mash.

Almost too good! lol
It was an anomaly yup more regular with a sprsge on my system is 83% every now and again I'd get and 85 or 7 and be like wow cool !

Now without a sparge I'm 75-78%
Still trying to get consistency with short mash short boils but I'm dialing in closer every brew

There's a Breaking Bad joke somewhere in there...that's where I learned about creative money laundering!

Great feed back all and thanks for the shares....so you mash outers....what's the drill? How much hot liquor and what do you to the mash when adding it? I assume you subtract that from somewhere..the sparge? The strike water?

I am using a Brewzilla, so I have a step in there which increases the temp. Once up to 170F I let it circulate for 10 minutes or so then lift the basket to drain and sparge with predetermined amount of 170F water.

I guess I mash out in a way....I BIAB with a High Gravity 10 gallon set up
When the mash is complete, I start the ramp to boil temps, and there are usually a few things that I clean up before I raise the basket out of the kettle, so the temp is between 165-170 when it gets pulled...

I generally mash at 152 or so for an hour, then do a double batch sparge with 185f water. Half the total sparge, stir sit for 15 minutes and repeat. I don't bother with a vourlaf, I do however strain the wort as it goes into the kettle with a hops basket.

Hop basket, great idea, thanks!! Wonder why it never accured to me? Next brew for sure!!

I generally mash at 152 or so for an hour, then do a double batch sparge with 185f water. Half the total sparge, stir sit for 15 minutes and repeat. I don't bother with a vourlaf, I do however strain the wort as it goes into the kettle with a hops basket.

I thought any water over 170 released tannins into the wert?

I thought any water over 170 released tannins into the wert?
It goes through a secondary vessel from the kettle and then to the tin after the first runnings go into the kettle. Lose a few degrees doing that and combined with the grain still only gets a temp between 165-170. I don’t worry about the few seconds while I’m mixing it.

I think a high pH (6.0+) has more of an impact on tannin extraction than high temp (170°F +).
You need both in their respective ranges to extract tannins

And for the original question:
  • I recirculate during the mash, but when I pull out the bag and squeeze it, I probably kill any chance of it being called a vorlauf
  • I don't mash out, the bag is pulled before I turn on the heat for the boil. Though there's still a lot of enzymes out of the bag, so you could argue I'm accidentally mashing out.
  • I don't sparge, full volume mashing is just so simple and I'm generally only brewing 12-15 litres, so there's plenty of room
  • I'll mash for 60 minutes at least. I know it's getting very marginal after 40 minutes or so, but I'm generally going for dry beers and I like the break before I hit the main event with the boil.

Back