Late Start on Brew Day

jeffpn

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on letting my chilled wort sit overnight (8-10 hours) before I rack it from the kettle to the primary fermemter? Is there a huge risk of infection? I’d have it covered with the kettle lid. I think I’ve heard of people who do that. I never have. This is probably the latest start I’ve ever gotten. Should have plenty of time to settle though, eh?

Put the kettle lid on, then wrap plastic wrap around the lid and the rim similar to a clamp to seal the kettle

Should I put some chewing gum in the thermometer hole that’s predrilled in the lid?

Incidentally, the kettle has clamps on it, but it’s designed for another lid. A still lid, or something like that.

you could rack it in the fermenter tonight, don't pitch yeast, and pop the airlock on. Let it cool overnight, pitch yeast tomorrow.

I use a glass fermenter. A hot rack into it is not an option. I’m not interested in no chill either.

Many times I let the chilled wort sit in the kettle 3-4 hours to settle before racking. What’s another 5-7 hours, right?

Maybe mix a campden tablet in with the wort? it helps keep bugs away, you would have to use powder and stir and also not be allergic to sulfates

No problem. I don’t have any campden tablets anyway. 40 minutes to go in the boil, 10:30 PM. I’m burning the midnight wort!!

what I've done its wait till the steam is gone completely then add to a completely sealed bucket, stick it in the freezer for the night and its always been fine

I don’t mind chilling it. It only takes five and a half minutes. I like to let it settle before I rack it. Like I said earlier, 2-4 hours (although I said 3-4 earlier). I’m not staying up that late!

Last edited:
if you're yeast is healthy and you seal it up, I don't see any problems with it.

Chill it and it should be okay as long as you don't oxygenate it.

Don't leave it warm. Lactobacillus loves warm.

Well, wort is chilled, yeast is pitched, and the kettle is even cleaned.

Nosy, I stir with a paddle attached to a drill. It works up quite a froth. It’s got to be well aerated. I usually get fairly quick yeast activity.

Just after midnight, and I just poured a nightcap. Goodnight all, and thanks for your input!

Last edited:
8AM, and I see activity in the airlock. It’s gonna be a good day! I’m on vacation (holiday for you squirrels), and today I’ll be preparing for a small get together my wife and I are having tomorrow. I’ll be highlighting my homebrew, sausage, and other foods I enjoy making.

I pitched yeast 8pm last night this morn at around 6am 10 hours post pitch my Saison is spitting foam outta the airlock baby!:p

It might have something to do with my 2lt Starter o_O

I did about 1/3l starter on my pale ale and the damned airlock was whistling it had so much pressure. Full of goo too which was my own fault for thinking I didn't need the blow off tube.

Back