Late addition of LME

Discussion in 'General Brewing Discussions' started by Lone Crow, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Lone Crow

Lone Crow New Member

I'm brewing an extract blond ale and thought I'd like to add the 7# of LME with around 20 minutes to go in the 60 minute boil. I have steeped 1/2 # of crystal 15 and will add the 1 oz of hops at the beginning of the boil. My question is will I get the expected ibu's from the hops if the LME is not put in at the onset of the boil? Or Should I put in some of the LME right off and add the rest after 40 Minutes?

Tom

2. Nosybear

Nosybear Well-Known Member

When you add the LME will affect hop utilization. Basically, the more sugar you have in solution, the less the hops isomerize, decreasing the bitterness. I sometimes use late sugar additions to my mashes - I'm doing a "wee heavy" next weekend that will use 6 pounds of syrup in addition to the mash - and generally go about it this way. I put in the data for my mash (in your case, you'd use the extract from the steep) and calculate my hops and boil gravity from this data. Then I add the syrups to the calculator to get my OG for fermentation, using a "late syrup" addition (keeps it from darkening due to Maillard reactions). In your case, I'm assuming an extract-steep recipe, I'd put half the syrup in initially, add half at flameout and let stand for 10 minutes before chilling.

3. Lone Crow

Lone Crow New Member

Thanks for the help Nosybear.