Late addition fermentable

DarkmodeBrewing

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi!
I am wondering on how to get the final gravity estimation in a brew session to include the OG added by late additions. I have brewed a couple of Braggots and gotten accustomed to adding all the honey a couple of days into primary fermentation. Due to this I don't want to fudge up the estimated OG I will get from the grains during mash and boil, so I mark my honey as late addition - primary fermenter. But the brew session (it seems) doesn't allow me to mark the honey as added, thus showing me only the OG from the grains. Is there a way to do this, am I just missing something? Otherwise I have to manually add the OG:s together (with isn't such a big deal) to be able to measure SG and get my ABV.

For each fermentable there's a Late Addition checkbox. Check that and then choose when it's added from the drop down list that appears. It will change pre-boil, post-boil and OG depending on the setting you choose.

Hi Mark, thanks for the reply. I have checked it and choosen ’fermenter’. This is fine, it is excluded from the pre- and postboil OG. But when I add the honey, It would be helpful to somehow make the brew session to add the 33 extra OG points in order to have an estimated SG.

Hmm, maybe there's a bug. Last time I spent time looking at that option it was adding the sugar to ABV. Mine were late boil additions so I saw it added to post boil and OG. Time to check my recipes with sugar...

Edit: yep, I can see what you're saying. If I change my addition to fermenter, it doesn't add the gravity to the FG.

I suppose you could argue that FG is the gravity at the time it's added to the fermenter and anything added after that doesn't change FG. But then we need a total gravity added to the fermenter number to drive the ABV calculations. FG is a more pragmatic location for that, rather than creating a new number that's used for the ABV.

Edit, edit: there's a ticket in the queue to address this - https://www.brewersfriend.com/forum/threads/late-fermentable-addition-wrong-abv.15550/

Last edited:

Back