last minute hop correction

mikeham57

Trial Member
Reaction score
I have a keg of IPA that I need in a week but it's not hoppy enough flavour
and aroma wise.Whats the best way to fix this without taking it out of the keg
it's already mostly carbonated.

since this is a quick fix and not dry hopping just get a couple of 5 gallon paint strainer bags add 1 to 2 ounces of your finishing hops flavor to the first bag, tie it as close to the top as possible they will expand, then put that in a second bag and tie at the top then just add to the keg and leave it, it will sink to the bottom. the reason for 2 bags is 1 bag will let too many hop particles through and over power the first part of the keg and likely put everyone to sleep. 2 bags will evenly distribute the hop flavor without needing to take it out

sounds like you done this before.would boiling on the stove for about 10-15
min and then straining out the pellets also work ? and would some DME be
required or not .if you don't think so I'll go with you're plan. thanks

you could make a hop tea but not for a quick fix in my opinion

I don't boil my bags, I just soak them in star-sans for a minute then wring out and add the hops and yes I fix fading IPA's all the time, the strong hop flavor diminishes quick after 30 days on most beers

just for safety sake in the event the bag gets pulled under the dip tube and clogs the beer out line, you can tie some fishing line or dental floss to the bag and pull it through the lid and seal it, that way you can yank on it if it gets clogged

Hop flavors diminish after 30 days? Huh, I'll have to take your word for it!! :D

not only the hop flavours but I find as the keg gets lower after about a month
the co2 seems to give a bit of a bite maybe something else is causing this but
I think it's the co2

yes thats correct, the lower the beer is in the keg, the dead space gets replace by c02 and eventually that soaks into the beer and increases the bitterness, I turn my pressure down after half empty and purge the keg every week, seems to help

At Least there's a bit of method to my madness.I feel vindicated (and maybe
Half in the bag)Sunday and brewing on the deck in the summer,life is good.

Back