Last Brew of 2023

Probably brewed my last of 2023 (A bitter) on Monday. New Year’s Day is a possibility though.

I suddenly decided I might try a replica of one of my first beers.
That one ended at about 3% due to too coarse milling and other issues. But it tasted good, like a Vedett 2.7
Will be fun to see if I can get this done with proper milling. Gotta go through my notes again

Squeezed in a last SMASH Pils on the 20th. I was hoping to do a decoction mash for the first time ever, but work got in the way. :(
By the time I was out of my (virtual) meeting it was time to läuter...
At least I know, even though the beer might not be different, it will be drinkable. :p

Well, one more for me, Brewing a Helles today.
Has a Cream Ale planned for Friday, but my brewer unfortunately has a burial service to attend and I'll be solo, so that's a no go.
Happy New Year!
Cheers,
Brian

Brewed my low alcohol IPA.

Touched the wort with my hand just before pouring into the fermenter.
I was trying to prevent the hop thingy from falling over in the wort. Not a smart move.
I added more yeast than usual, hoping on quick start of the fermentation.
Fingers crossed

I brewed Ben's Bunyip2.0 today. It was a beautiful sunny 43°F day. Moderate winds led to a little more boil-off than normal. OG was 3 points high. To mimic Ben's no-chill I did a 30 minute hop-stand, starting at flame-out. There were were so many hops that the drain port plugged. I had to lift the kettle and pour the final 2 gallons into the fermenter. I had to stop 3 times to clear the hops from the double-mesh strainer! This is the first time I've brewed with Talus hops. Definitely a floral and fruit aroma to the hop pellets. Interested to see how they taste in the final beer.

Bunyip2.0 in fermenter.jpg

Back