Large kettle BIAB

jeffpn

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I see a 16 gallon stainless pot for $90. It's got me thinking. Is it practical to do a 10 gallon batch via BIAB? Another idea I have is to do 2 separate mashes, and then combine them. I shoot for 6.5 gallons ending kettle to get 5 gallons kegged now. I probably could get away with 12.5 or 12 gallons ending kettle to get 10. Ideas? Of course then I'll need another fermenter for the 5 cf freezers I have. They each only hold one carboy.

you can do a 10 gallon batch in that pot but not all recipes will work, I have done it in a 15g but it was to the top and always spilled wort somewhere usually 1060 and bellow you can, also you may lose efficiency at first until you get the hang of it

Most of my beers are below 1060. I'm just working from the assumption that if I did two 6.5 gallon mashes, I could combine them in the 16 gallon pot and have 3 gallons of wiggle room.

you can do a full water bib 12 gallon finished batch but the boil will be to the top and you'll have to watch it like a hawk for boil overs, I think 13 is going to be tight but you be the judge, the least amount of wort I start boiling with is 14.5 gallons to reach 12, I like to have an inch or so of air space in my kegs to start so I can bleed the air out otherwise it sprays beer everywhere, thats why I make 12 gallon batches

was trying to find an old picture, this was my old rig many years ago and this was a 15 looks like 4" to spare in the mash but right to the top for the boil

WP_20140305_002.jpg

My hot break hits the top in my 11 gallon pot now. I start at 7.25 gallons. I suppose I'd need to double my 11 gallon pot size also, more or less.

And just now I'm kegging. Didn't pay attention to my gas tube. I went above it. Luckily this keg has a pull ring on the cap.

16 gal for $90 ? I'm quoted $240 aud for a 19 us gal pot ...at least it comes with tri clad base and internal volume markings .

This will form basis of a 2V herms system being my mash tun and kettle , still no chilling despite having a shiny SS immersion chiller on order already ....brew hardware is so expensive here but somehow some ingredients are much cheaper excepting hops

$89 MSRP brewersbest.com

Attachments

• IMG_2152.PNG
    IMG_2152.PNG
    535.7 KB · Views: 117
Ok now I see why its much cheaper , mine is 304 and 1.2 mm thick with 3 ports but trying to get 2 of them undrilled so I can have them welded exactly where I want them

Back