Lager yeast choice

west1m

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I am going to brew up a lager , just your basic Coors Light kinda thing.
Would 34/70 work out for this, I see it says German Lager?
Or would I be better putting this off until I can get an American Lager yeast like WLP840?

Depends on how Coors you want it. The German strains offer a little more flavor, as in less watery. American will be lighter but you might not be able to tell.

As has been said 34/70 is so safe and reliable it's a hard yeast to beat.

That new Ale/Lager hybrid Strain Nova Lager is also very safe and easy to use I've found (been brewing with it most this year).

S23 would be worth a burl as well it finishes dry.

So what Coors grist look like is it pilsner base with a splash of rice malt?

What hops are in Coors?

As has been said 34/70 is so safe and reliable it's a hard yeast to beat.

That new Ale/Lager hybrid Strain Nova Lager is also very safe and easy to use I've found (been brewing with it most this year).

S23 would be worth a burl as well it finishes dry.

So what Coors grist look like is it pilsner base with a splash of rice malt?

What hops are in Coors?

I dont have the recipe on hand here but it was two row and rice with Sazz and ?
I think I will give the 34/70 a go. I am not much of a judge, if it taste like beer , its close enough.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/216382/standard-american-lager-ii-aka-lynns-lager

This beer has won me 2 NHC silver medals. I use Minute Rice and American Pils malt (Rahr), German hops and 34/70 yeast.

34/70 is an awesome yeast for American lagers. It’s cleaner than most American Lager yeasts with very little red apple, which is characteristic of Coors and Bud. It taste more like Pabst than Bud or Coors.

Thank you , good to hear more positive 34/70 input . Have to check oit your recipe.
I have only done one lager before, NB Mexican. Came out like beer...

My Pre-Pro came out great with 34/70. I just made a dark lager that I also like very much with 34/70. I used flaked corn in both.
I haven't tried a light rice lager. I'm thinking of doing some sort of Festbier next with the same yeast.
The most difficult thing for me with the first one was coming up with a lager schedule as people were all over the place with it. Once I did that and calculated when I could pitch yeast, life was good.
2 Row and 34/70 will make beer:)
There are a number of videos on YouTube on making both the Coors Banquet Beer and an American Light Lager.

I am going to brew up a lager , just your basic Coors Light kinda thing.
Would 34/70 work out for this, I see it says German Lager?
Or would I be better putting this off until I can get an American Lager yeast like WLP840?
You won't regret using 34/70. I've used it in "American" lager styles in the past and it does great. My absolute favorite clean yeast!

German or not, 34/70 is clean and easy to use.

WPL800 or 2035 would be a good choice too

Pretty interesting watching some of the videos about how they got to the American Light Lager style and the differences between the pre-prohibition era. I drank a lot of Coors in my younger days. They just brought it to Florida when I was a teenager.
After being introduced to craft beers, I thumbed my nose up at lagers for some time...until I found out what good ones were supposed to taste like.
I'm still not a very big fan of the American Light Lager, but I have enjoyed tasting some of the older styles and making a couple. I really like some of those styles now and some of the European Lagers that the local breweries are making.
I'm going to take some time off this fall, and there is a lager brewery in Tampa that I want to try. Apparently, it is really easy to get to from the Ybor City Central Garage too.

Does Flaked Rice have any odor? I tossed my bag of flaked rice into the grinder with the two row and it has a kind of rancid vegetable oil smell.
Time to toss it all before I start?

Hm. Rancid does not sound right. Got any other rice in the house? Compare odors.

Not taking any chances, tossed it all out.
I had more two row so I went to the store and bought 4 pounds of Minute Rice. Hopefully the swap is a one for one. I couldn't find Minute Rice listed in the recipe builder.
Then I accidently found out you shouldnt put the rice hulls with the grain before milling. Oops...
It is on its way now. Mashing just got started.

Good call, i would take chances with something looks or smells rotten.

Minute rice is partially converted so should work

In the fermenter now Not one of more successful brews....

20230902_144102.jpg

Back