Lager Pressurised Fermentaion Question?

APML

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

This might be obvious, but I can't find an answer either way.

I'm looking to start pressure fermenting and understand the IPA/Pale stuff, it seems reasonably straightforward.

When it comes to lagers though I can't find the answer to whether I need to 'lager' in the keg post pressurised fermentation or if it's good to go straight from the vessel.

I assume the former but am yet to see anything on it.

Any help appreciated...

Lagering is a purely physical process that allows yeast and other stuff to drop to the bottom by gravity and clear up the beer. Pressure has no influence on this process.

lagering is as @Donoroto described
You will get different ideas for pressure fermenting a lager Here is mine:
I pitch yeast as cold as I can through normal chilling. For me that’s about 66-68. I then make sure the temp will get no warmer and preferably drop to the low to mid 60s. I set my spunding valve on and let pressure build to about 15 psi. After my attenuation is 50% I let it warm up to finish keeping it below or at 70. Last 5-6 points I let pressure build to match the co2 needed per temperature using the chart on here. I then get it as cold as I can which depends on what I’m fermenting in and time of year. After gravity is stable a few days I’ll keg. You should not have diacetyl if pressure fermenting. Then I lager for a few weeks to as long as I can wait.

I'm looking to start pressure fermenting and understand the IPA/Pale stuff, it seems reasonably straightforward.

When it comes to lagers though I can't find the answer to whether I need to 'lager' in the keg post pressurised fermentation or if it's good to go straight from the vessel.
Welcome to the forum.

I pressure ferment most of my beers, but I brew mostly lagers. I'm not sure why, but some people ferment ales under pressure. The main point of fermenting under pressure is to reduce ester production. Pressure increases dissolved co2, which causes the yeast to change it's metabolism to ferment cleaner. This is a great when it comes to lagers, but English and Belgian yeasts are known for their ester production. When I make an English beer, I try to reduce the dissolved co2 with a wide and shallow fermentation vessel. This allows the co2 to escape more readily and the beer ends up with more "fruity" character.

The main point of lagering is to get the beer as cold as possible (near freezing) and drop the yeast out. Most lagers are ready whenever they drop their yeast. They do get better the brighter they get, which means a little more time lagering. A good lager taste really good right away and just gets better during lagering. There is no magic that happens in lagering and I "lager" ales too for the same reasons.

Welcome to the forum.

I pressure ferment most of my beers, but I brew mostly lagers. I'm not sure why, but some people ferment ales under pressure. The main point of fermenting under pressure is to reduce ester production. Pressure increases dissolved co2, which causes the yeast to change it's metabolism to ferment cleaner. This is a great when it comes to lagers, but English and Belgian yeasts are known for their ester production. When I make an English beer, I try to reduce the dissolved co2 with a wide and shallow fermentation vessel. This allows the co2 to escape more readily and the beer ends up with more "fruity" character.

The main point of lagering is to get the beer as cold as possible (near freezing) and drop the yeast out. Most lagers are ready whenever they drop their yeast. They do get better the brighter they get, which means a little more time lagering. A good lager taste really good right away and just gets better during lagering. There is no magic that happens in lagering and I "lager" ales too for the same reasons.
Good post

Welcome to the forum.

I used VOSS twice recently fermented at 33C, and about 12PSI. I realize now that the pressure must have suppressed the tanginess that I have had from VOSS in the past. I will definitely repeat this when using VOSS again in the future!

I used VOSS twice recently fermented at 33C, and about 12PSI. I realize now that the pressure must have suppressed the tanginess that I have had from VOSS in the past. I will definitely repeat this when using VOSS again in the future!

Bit off topic, but have you tried fermenting Voss at close to 40 oC?
It comes out great and no tang that I noticed (not pressure fermented)

I tried my first lager not all that long ago. I had some conflicting information until I spent about 30 minutes one night at a bar talking to an assistant brewer, and Josh (above) helped me wrap my head around a few things.
I did not pressure ferment, but I also used a very forgiving yeast (34/70).
I don't have cooling toys beyond a faucet and a normal, water wort chiller. I went online and used an engineering calculator se see how much time it would take 5 gallons of 78 degree wort to chill to 62 degrees. I put the beer in a refrigerator set to 42 degrees. I went out and had two beers and some food at a local brewery.
Three or four hours after the liquid went into the refrigerator, I pitched, and I pitch A LOT (like 4 packets). I reset the refrigerator to 55 and let it go until Day 4 when the krausen had fallen. I reset the refrigerator again to around the mid 60s for two or three days for the D Rest. After the D Rest I took the temperature in five-degree increments one or twice a day back down to 52. I let if finish there until day 14 when I kegged it. I did not put pressure in it until I kegged it.
Mine did not clear like others because I wanted to do an old school American beer, and I used 6-Row.
At some point, you are going to need to separate the yeast from the beer after it ferments. How you do that and what vessel you use is up to you.

Hi all,

This might be obvious, but I can't find an answer either way.

I assume the former but am yet to see anything on it.

Any help appreciated...
You can drink it once it is carbed up but if you want clarity then you need to let it sit and drop clear (which it can do in the keg). You can wait if you want or drink right away and call it keller beer until it drops clear. lol

I have pressure fermenters more for closed transfers at this point as I use 34/70 and let it run anywhere from 50-68... Great lager every time - no need to ferment under pressure with that yeast.

Back