Lager and Long D-Rest

SwampWater

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Today is day 14 with my lager. I pitched WLP940 at 48 F and fermented it @ 52F for 12 days. It is currently at 64 F and the bubbling in the air lock is still active every 5 seconds. The foam is gone though. Should I wait for all activity to stop before racking to a secondary?

Are you doing a diacetyl rest? If so, you may have already missed the window. As far as the airlock activity, if there's no foam, likely all that's going on is CO2 is coming out of solution with temperature changes in your refrigerator. Hopefully, the yeast are still reducing some of their fermentation by-products, including diacetyl and its precursor. So, before all the yeast start to drop, here's my recommendation: Get the beer warmed up for the diacetyl rest. Rest it for two or three days - the yeast aren't all that active and shouldn't produce any perceivable esters - then get it into lager.

Yes. Today is day 3 of the D-rest. Okay, thanks, I'll keg it tomorrow.

Thanks,

SwampWater

Good news. No popcorn, butter taste or any taste of diacetyl. This is the first lager I have made that didn't have that taste. I haven't made a lot of lagers, but I really like how the WLP940 Mexican yeast tastes so early after fermentation. Kegged and now at 3C in my keezer.

Back