Krausen Question

You may have been onto something new... a tasty Porter may have been enhanced by the addition of 'dry-hopped ants'. Ants carry a bacterium S. marcescens and they produce the chemical pyrazine, which is a method of communication and trail building.
Pyrazine has been noted to be a positive aroma and flavor contributor in some wines... considering that some porters and stouts have intentionally been 'conditioned' in wine barrels... if you give access to your fermenter to an ant colony, it may give you a Porter with notable wine character.

I'd suggest returning your fermenter to where the ants have easy access to it. :D

Last edited:
@asummer - Be sure to give the details when the beer's ready to drink (or even when you pull a sample). :)
For sure. I didn't pull a sample this weekend since it's still slightly active and I'm still slightly lazy. But I'll check it this coming weekend to make sure it's on track for bottling. Right now I'm brainstorming some names for it. How does Dead Ant Porter sound? Or maybe Ant-E-Body Porter? Ok, this is getting embarrassing. Don't tell anyone.

You may have been onto something new... a tasty Porter may have been enhanced by the addition of 'dry-hopped ants'. Ants carry a bacterium S. marcescens and they produce the chemical pyrazine, which is a method of communication and trail building.
Pyrazine has been noted to be a positive aroma and flavor contributor in some wines... considering that some porters and stouts have intentionally been 'conditioned' in wine barrels... if you give access to your fermenter to an ant colony, it may give you a Porter with notable wine character.

I'd suggest returning your fermenter to where the ants have easy access to it. :D
You've got me reading about pyrazine now. Looks like it could be interesting, but since the flavor profile goes all the way from olive to bell pepper to old asparagus... I dunno if I'd like a green porter. Lol.

We have these ants in tropical Australia with a big green bum when eaten (the abdomen ) section it tastes like lemon sherbert. The aboriginals make a drink out of them soaking them in warm water to create a sweet drink.

I rekon these could add some crazy flavours into a beer:eek:

We have these ants in tropical Australia with a big green bum when eaten (the abdomen ) section it tastes like lemon sherbert. The aboriginals make a drink out of them soaking them in warm water to create a sweet drink.

I rekon these could add some crazy flavours into a beer:eek:
Do it, barefoot baking and brewing Ben!

Do it, barefoot baking and brewing Ben!
Ah don't worry herm I've chewed a few green ants arses in my time!:D:D

You know what does suck when they bite you on the tongue As your chomping down on one:eek:.

They taste sweet and lemony closest thing would be sherbert.

Ah don't worry herm I've chewed a few green ants arses in my time!:D:D

You know what does suck when they bite you on the tongue As your chomping down on one:eek:.

They taste sweet and lemony closest thing would be sherbert.

I'll...um....take your word for it Ben! It's probably like many things our ancestors ate (I'm thinking head cheese, pig snouts, etc.) if the choice is between eating it and starving to death...you eat it. And after a while it becomes delicious :confused:.

I've had a few of those ants when I've been up north, pretty tasty.

Speaking of ants and sorry @BrewPatgonia these guys were talking about Ant flavours in beer in this podcast a "squashed ant Flavour".
Btw an inspiring clip on wild fermentation I really need to give it a go...

hahaha... makes me wonder if already squashed ants taste different than freshly squashed ants. I haven't tried them and so can't opine on how they would make a beer taste nor on what beer style to include them in.

Back