Kolsch/Kolleweizen - Spring Brew Day

Nosybear

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Brewed this today:

http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/r ... -improved-

First, it was a beautful brew day. The Colorado weather gods smiled on us, no snow, little wind, comfortable temps outside. I did a single decoction (raising temps from saccarification to dextrinization temp, 145 to 158 degrees), then mashed out with boiling water. Got great conversion, split the wort into two three-gallon batches, which I'm fermenting with the yeasts mentioned in the recipe. Will primary at 60 degrees, then drop the temps into the 50s for a bit of pseudo-lagering, perhaps even into the 30s if I get lagers in the fridge. Any thoughts?

that yeast is is known for banana and clove flavors at 68 so the lower temps should be clean and tasty,let up know how it turns out

I've done it before (Gold medal in a non-sanctioned competition at the Dillon Dam Brewery) with WLP 380. As cool as I'm working it, I'm expecting clove. I'm also expecting good things from the Kolsch. I just did a Hefeweizen (also split, half "straight", half with 4# pasteurized strawberries in secondary) with the Weihenstephan strain using similar fermentation technique and it came out magnificent both ways. I'm doing two things right now: Building up a set of "lawnmower" beers for summer and testing the process changes from this winter. There's no place for a flaw to hide in these light, subtle beers so they make great process checks.

One of these days I'm going to brew up some German beers. I've been stuck on Belgian beer since I started brewing. :D

Hey Nosy, are you going to bring a SMaSH beer to the next homebrew meeting? Did you bring anything to the last one?

I generally don't do coffee beers, preferring to leave caffeine to my morning brews so no, I didn't take anything to the last demo night. Next one is SMASH? Hmmm.... I have two ideas I'm working on that would fit. One is a Marzen (apologies to the umlaut) that consists of Munich malt and Tettnanger hops only. The other is a Blonde Ale I've done that's basically pale malt and Crystal. Will have to see, but likely it will be the Marzen, if I can complete a lager in time. Next Lagerthon is in two weeks, plan is the Marzen and a Helles.... An interesting one I've done, if you'd like to try it, is a pale ale with Nelson Sauvin hops. Happy to share, though you'd have to scale up since it's only a 1-gallon batch.

The Marzen sounds awesome! I'm going to do a all Munich and citra with Brett Trois. I didn't get to use the Brett Trois in my last beer so I'm going to put it in this one. I've been wanting to do a 100% Munich beer for a while now. I really like the flavor Munich provides in large quantities. I haven't used citra hops either but I found an all citra hopped beer at the meeting and it smelled awesome. I hopping to get a nice fruity funkiness from the brett to match up with the Munich and citra.

I'm also planning on bringing a Golden Strong made with Belgian pilsner, Mosaic, and WLP570. This one isn't to style at all with the hops but I think its going to be pretty interesting. :D

Whenever I finally switch modes I'd really like to do a Helles!

Back