Kegs are calling me

Consider getting a 10 lb Co2 tank, getting it filled won't be double, at least it shouldn't.
I actually have two 10 pounders, one for the keg fridge and one in the brewery.
I use it to move liquids around when cleaning sanitizing kegs, my back is like your wrists...
I have an extra keg that I keep sanitizer in, so convenient
be careful using CO2 around cleaning chemicals. Clean compressed air is far safer. Get a little quiet compressor and some in line filters for cleaning!

Caustic and CO2 do not get along. CO2 neutralizes Caustic. If things go badly, that reaction cause a vacuum which has the ability to crush tanks. You probably are not using Commercial Sodium Hydroxide based cleaner, but just a headsup! If nothing else it will neutralize your cleaner. We actually blow down our tanks with compressed air to remove the CO2 because of the interaction.

be careful using CO2 around cleaning chemicals. Clean compressed air is far safer. Get a little quiet compressor and some in line filters for cleaning!

Caustic and CO2 do not get along. CO2 neutralizes Caustic. If things go badly, that reaction cause a vacuum which has the ability to crush tanks. You probably are not using Commercial Sodium Hydroxide based cleaner, but just a headsup! If nothing else it will neutralize your cleaner. We actually blow down our tanks with compressed air to remove the CO2 because of the interaction.
Huh Didn't know that.

interesting, but I would guess at the 5gal brewery scale, it makes little difference :p

Herm is just one of those "internet influencers" you hear about :)

Actually it was just me coming to the realization how much wrist pain (probably carpal tunnel or other repetitive stress injury) was impacting my enjoyment of home brewing.
Kegging Keeping hombrewers brewing For longer

Herm is just one of those "internet influencers" you hear about :)

Actually it was just me coming to the realization how much wrist pain (probably carpal tunnel or other repetitive stress injury) was impacting my enjoyment of home brewing.
Now that is funny, me being an “internet influencer” is like me pitching in the big leagues, or winning a World Cup Downhill ski race.

I saved almost every bottle buying beer growing up, then stupidly threw all away after getting heavily into kegging, thinking now after coved I could have made a bunch of money
I used to have about 12 cases of bottles. (24 each) my wife hated it. took up alot of space.

Get a little quiet compressor and some in line filters for cleaning!
This is really useful advice. I already had an oiless compressor and filters when I started kegging, and I quickly realized I could use essentially free compressed air to push my cleaning and sanitizing fluids. I made a quick adapter with some extra parts I had lying around.
20240122_201610.jpg

This is really useful advice. I already had an oiless compressor and filters when I started kegging, and I quickly realized I could use essentially free compressed air to push my cleaning and sanitizing fluids. I made a quick adapter with some extra parts I had lying around. View attachment 28121
I have one I found recently, I think oxygen and oil was my worry so didn't use it much, I guess the compressor is the key

I didn't know that either, I use PBW solution for cleaning, but only connect Co2 when it is time to move it to the next vessel.
In this case it would be a fairly dilute mixture of Co2 and ambient air.

I didn't know that either, I use PBW solution for cleaning, but only connect Co2 when it is time to move it to the next vessel.
In this case it would be a fairly dilute mixture of Co2 and ambient air.
So I read up on PBW and it is not affected by CO2 but caustic based cleaners are. I think pbw is an acid based cleaner???

I was just trying to share some knowledge!

So I read up on PBW and it is not affected by CO2 but caustic based cleaners are. I think pbw is an acid based cleaner???

I was just trying to share some knowledge!
nope, its basically oxyclean and a rinse agent. most food cleaning detergents are highly alkaline.

techincally starsan is not caustic either. it is a stong acid

nope, its basically oxyclean and a rinse agent. most food cleaning detergents are highly alkaline.
And now I need to figure out what oxyclean is lol.

I am not sure what cleaners are common within home brewing beyond pbw but it is always a good idea to treat co2 as a chemical. It can react with things and also can be dangerous.

Back