Kegrator - Perlick Vs. Other Taps

Discussion in 'General Brewing Discussions' started by Luke Piirik, Mar 29, 2018.

1. Luke Piirik

Luke Piirik New Member

#1 Luke Piirik, Mar 29, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
    I've recently boughten an older model of a Carlsberg Kegerator fridge, the thing is great and it holds 2 5G Corny kegs. I've been happy with the purchase so far but the problem is it only has one tap... I have been looking at adding a second tap on to the tower at the estimated cost of about $50-60 CAD but found another option which is to just buy a new tower with 2 new taps for $90 CAD, which IMO isn't that much more.

I have the option to upgrade from the standard chrome tap to Perlick or some other more expensive options. My question is: Is a Perlick tap worth the extra $28CAD per tap? Does it perform any better? How about the Taprite or other taps, are they any good?

I have found that my tap at the moment, which I assume is a bottom of the barrel type tap does become sticky quite fast. If a Perlick tap could prevent this I'd be on board with that idea.

Any input is welcomed, especially with those that have used both types of taps before!

Website with the tower: upload_2018-3-29_11-23-25.png

2. Ozarks Mountain Brew

Staff Member

IT Managment
    I would buy the forward seal taps which Intertap or Perlick are the ones I would choose, I just bought chrome Intertap with the springs and I'm happy, after taking to old taps off they stunk just from a bad design and beer stink gets trapped

Head First likes this.
  3. BOB357

BOB357 Well-Known Member

I'm with Oz. Perlicks or Intertap are the way to go. The forward sealing is a lot cleaner setup. In between line/faucet cleanings you just spray some starsan up the spout every few days and they're good to go.

4. jeffpn

jeffpn Well-Known Member

I upgraded to 660SS Perlicks (at least I think that’s the model number.) They have never gotten sticky on me. And this is my last week (of 6 or 6 weeks) without drinking. They aren’t sticking. I also don’t really spray them. Or clean them as often as I should.

5. Hawkbox

Hawkbox Well-Known Member

IT Manager
    I have 630SS Perlicks and love them. The front sealing is the way to go even if you get a cheaper version. I had a "standard" one and if I didn't use it regularly it seized up hard.

6. Hogarthe

Hogarthe Well-Known Member

The perlick or other forward sealing taps are worth it. I also would say getting stainless is worth it over chrome plated. The chrome eventually wears off. You don't need to drink that.

7. Head First

Head First Well-Known Member

If you want to save a couple of bucks if its offered intertap is cheaper than perlick, and they will perform on a parallel with perlick. I have never had a problem with either with proper maintenance. IMHO the intertap is easier to clean than perlick. The first tap I bought was a taprite and it took a lot of messing with. Sticking, dripping, etc. Taps are a one time investment and worth a couple bucks more for less headache.

Trialben and Hawkbox like this.
  8. Trialben

Trialben Well-Known Member

Pest control tech
    ive only used Intertap stainless version hastle free so far.
    Dont get the ones in your beer font picture You Will Regret It.

9. Mase

Mase Well-Known Member

I have only ever used Perlick 630SS faucets and they are forward sealing. for the first time in over a year (and after 25 kegs of beers) I took them a part (simple to do) to clean them and they were clean as a whistle. since I had them apart, i gave them a good cleaning anyway and put them back together and flowing like a charm. I can't offer a comparison as I have never had any other type of faucets but as I described above, I don't think it gets any better than Perlick forward sealing 630ss'