Kegging

MrBIP

Premium Member
Reaction score
Got a really good deal on a couple of kegs, CO2 tank, regular, etc. a couple of weeks ago. Kegged my first beer. Not that I ever thought bottling was all so bad, but questioned "funny flavors" (like acetaldehyde) once bottle conditioned that weren't there previous. Kegged and carbed over the past several days a double IPA. I don't want to go back to bottles. Need to go find more kegs. Simpler, of course. Quicker, yes. But the flavor, it didn't tweak on me like it does in bottles. Some beers can tolerate extra time in bottles to "clear out" those secondary fermentation (in the bottles) flavors, and improve with time, but other need to be fresh. This is (part of) the answer for sure. I had all but given up on IPAs until I got to fixing my water ... and now the keg. I'll be resurrecting previous recipes that just didn't work out now.

(I haven't posted much lately, wow the changes to this forum setup).

(Just over 4 years into this hobby. Really happy that I found Brewersfriend.com at the start. Barely scratched the surface. Moving on to better beer every time I set out to brew.)

MrBIP

Great stuff mrbip yea you don't need to wait long to drink your beer when Kegging especially aided with a bit of gelitin for clearing. Hoppy ales are best consumed sooner rather than later so I've read to retain that hop aroma which could get Lost when aging in a bottle for a month. I hear first wort hopping is supposedly good for retaining that hop flavour longer when aging beer.

One more thing that is great about Kegging is you can bottle off come beer to take with you not needing to worry about the sediment that is going to get stired up when you get there. Camping this weekend :)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    261.6 KB · Views: 107

Back