Kegging

Kenny.brews

Trial Member
Reaction score
Looking at getting into kegging down the track as im sick of bottling already. What are the pros and cons of Sanke/D type Vs coney. It seems the commercial are a bit more sturdy including the coupler

one issue with sanke is the fact that you can't get your hand down in the keg like you can with a corny keg. You can still clean them, just don't like the fact that i can't scrub it if i want to. PBW should solve that problem though. Same issue you have with a glass carboy fermenter.

I bottle, so the rest of the pro keggers will have to add more info to help you out. Good luck.

I have 4 ball lock corni kegs, they work for me.
Used ones are plentiful, and cheap. I also like the diameter, I can fit up to 4 in my basement fridge.

I run pin lock Cornelius kegs for my Homebrew and I also have a sanke set up for running commercial or local brewery kegs. Works great.
I've heard from sanke homebrewers that they really like them so it is an option. Costs on the sanke set ups will be more expensive, and they do have a slightly larger footprint that can easily reduce the amount of room you have for even one more keg.

Looking at getting into kegging down the track as im sick of bottling already. What are the pros and cons of Sanke/D type Vs coney. It seems the commercial are a bit more sturdy including the coupler
Start with Corney's at least until you are 100% sure you are getting those clean without physically touching them.
Sanke kegs are awesome, but difficult to clean without heated caustic and acid.
Good luck,
Brian

I have both. Corny kegs are far easier to clean, Sankey kegs are far more robust but hard to be confident in on the cleaning front and quite tricky to dismantle should the need arise.

Physically, mine are pretty much the same size as I found some 20lt Sankey kegs so there's nothing to choose there. Corny kegs are a little expensive for us so the used Sankey kegs actually win there but cost wasn't a factor for me.

Sankeys are a pain to fill. I've found that taking all the one way gubbins out of the connectors and then doing a pressure transfer from a Corny a decent option.

I think there are pros and cons to both. Corny kegs are way easier to work with though.

I run pin lock Cornelius kegs for my Homebrew and I also have a sanke set up for running commercial or local brewery kegs. Works great.
I've heard from sanke homebrewers that they really like them so it is an option. Costs on the sanke set ups will be more expensive, and they do have a slightly larger footprint that can easily reduce the amount of room you have for even one more keg.

I think that's exactly it. Hard to justify Sankey for home brew but Corny won't really cut it in any sort of commercial setting

I've ended up with a couple sanke kegs but I don't generally use them as getting the post out to clean and refill is a pain in the ass compared to my ball lock corneys. I have an adapter setup for commercial brews too and I like that, but I think I'll leave the Sanke's to the pros.

I agree with Hawkbox. After ditching commercial kegs once I started brewing, corny kegs are the easiest way to go. I do have the special couples where I can use sanke kegs if I bought a commercial beer.........I likes brewin ma own.

Back