Kegging Weissbeer

Adrian Gresores

Trial Member
Reaction score
I am about to keg a Weissbeer that I brewed. Looking at various references, I chose 4 volumes of CO2 for forced carbonation. At a kegerator temp of 38 F, Brewer's Friend tells me the keg pressure should be at about 27 psi. OK, so I leave it at that pressure for a week or two to carbonate the beer. My question involves dispensing the beer after that. Would I drop the pressure to the normal dispensing pressure of 10 - 12 psi? If so, does that not mean that, over time, carbonation in the beer would go down as there is less pressure in the head space? I mean, the same PSI calculator shows that at 38F and 10 psi, only 2.4 volumes of CO2 would be in the beer. Would my weissbeer go down to that 2.4 volumes of CO2 eventually?

Would appreciate your sharing your wisdom and experience.

I'm not an expert by any means, but I think the answer is that, unless you're leaving the beer in the keg for quite a while, there will be no need to increase the pressure back up to 27 psi. Serving pressure is just that, a sensible pressure at which to get beer rather than foam out of the keg. If you left the keg at serving pressure for a long while there might be a reduction in dissolved CO2 but I'm not aware of this being an issue for the lifetime of most people's kegs. If you notice a drop in carbonation it's still open to you to ramp up the pressure again for a few days, before reducing back to serving pressure again.

Happy to be corrected by others if the above is wrong!

Back