keg with priming sugar???

How long and at what range of temperatures can "sugar in the keg" carbing stay drinkable? I want to brew in a few days but I really dont have room in my kegerator or spare fridge. I dread bottling again.
Coopers here In Aus Prime their kegs with cane sugar and cart them off all aroung the country. Thats one commercial brewer who does what your thinking of doing there.

Would the beer be OK if I left it for say 2 or 3 weeks like that?
Yes. Occasionally, I leave it up to a month before I have space available in my keezer.

Note that when you chill it, most of the yeast will drop out of suspension. If you don't move the keg after tapping, it will remain pretty clear, although the first half pint or so will suck up a bunch of flocculated yeast.

I am totally doing this tonight! I have something to keg but no room in my keezer!

One of the podcasts I listen to was saying that people are struggling with CO2 supply, so keg conditioning and repurposing fermentation CO2 is going through a new renaissance

One of the podcasts I listen to was saying that people are struggling with CO2 supply, so keg conditioning and repurposing fermentation CO2 is going through a new renaissance
What's there a bit of a shortage down there in Vic there Mark? My Co2 is getting low here your making me nervous man:D.

I've got one about to run out here too. It was a U.S. podcast. Got the impression it was due to retail outlets getting closed down for the virus rather than the bulk side of the supply side.

I've got one about to run out here too. It was a U.S. podcast. Got the impression it was due to retail outlets getting closed down for the virus rather than the bulk side of the supply side.
I run 2.5kg gas bottle that'll last me near 6 months if I be careful. Last fill was December last year one more fill should get me the other side of this bug I'm hoping:rolleyes:.

I got nothing!

I have always used the nomograph in the back of How to Brew to determine the amount of priming sugar needed.
Another thing to keep in mind is to make sure the keg lid is sealed otherwise the pressure will just leak out and you'll have to start again.
Good Luck,
Brian

The commercial CO2 shortage is related to gasoline production in the US. Ethanol is a key additive for emissions control. However, with less gas being sold, less ethanol is needed. The major sidestream product of ethanol production? Yep, CO2.

Good information on this site and thread, I do enjoy reading all the comments. I joined the site just yesterday, so no history on me; however, I am south of the equator and have been brewing 14 gallon batches all grain for 4 years now.

The keg conditioning is a very good way to go using priming sugar. Pay attention to your headspace, don't fill too much but also not too low in the kegs. after a couple of days, vent the keg slowly to purge some of the air.... since you stated you don't have CO2.. means you can't purge the air from the headspace. the yeast do need the oxygen in the air space to get things going, but still good to vent it if you had too much head space.

I use this method often with great results. I do agree that bottling is a lot more work. I bottle most beers, keg some; bottle because I can take my time drinking the beers, up to two years plus. once I tap the keg, I feel like i need to drink up faster which isn't an option for me as I use 30 Liter kegs and can't have a lot of people over during the pandemic we are facing currently.

I have had a keg still taste great a year after tapping, but normally they don't get better with time... bottles do maintain or improve with time.. depending on the type of beer.

Cheers! Salud!

Back