Keg posts, poppits and questions

BarbarianBrewer

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Of the 4 used kegs I purchased recently, one was not holding pressure when it arrived. I replaced all the gaskets, pressurized it and it still doesn't hold pressure. I could hear CO2 leaking from the post as soon as I remove the gas connection. Should I replace just the poppit or the post too? Another keg, that was holding pressure when I received it, began leaking in the same way after I replaced its gaskets. By pressing down on the poppit a few times with a screwdriver I got it to stop leaking; at least I couldn't hear any gas escaping.

When I removed the posts to replace the gaskets, some of the poppits just fell out. Does this indicate a problem? Does the poppit need to be wedged into the post?
poppit.jpg

Lastly, are gas posts a slightly different size than liquid posts? When transferring sanitizer from one keg to another, the grey gas connect fits very tightly onto the liquid out post on source keg and is very difficult to remove. (I connected both ends of the transfer hose to liquid out posts).

the posts are different, grey fits gas, black fits liquid
truly if it is leaking from the poppet, it will only leak when disconnected
as long as you no leaks from your Co2 bottle to the gas connector you should be fine.
to be sure you could/should immerse your co2 lines in a bucket of water to make sure you have no leaks
you can also spray starsan on a connection to check for leaks

the posts are different, grey fits gas, black fits liquid
truly if it is leaking from the poppet, it will only leak when disconnected
as long as you no leaks from your Co2 bottle to the gas connector you should be fine.
to be sure you could/should immerse your co2 lines in a bucket of water to make sure you have no leaks
you can also spray starsan on a connection to check for leaks
I did spray all connections with soapy water and found no leaks. I'm sure it's the poppet that is leaking. It only leaks when I remove the connector from the post and placing my thumb over the top of the gas post stops the leak.

Of the 4 used kegs I purchased recently, one was not holding pressure when it arrived. I replaced all the gaskets, pressurized it and it still doesn't hold pressure. I could hear CO2 leaking from the post as soon as I remove the gas connection. Should I replace just the poppit or the post too? Another keg, that was holding pressure when I received it, began leaking in the same way after I replaced its gaskets. By pressing down on the poppit a few times with a screwdriver I got it to stop leaking; at least I couldn't hear any gas escaping.

When I removed the posts to replace the gaskets, some of the poppits just fell out. Does this indicate a problem? Does the poppit need to be wedged into the post?
View attachment 28509

Lastly, are gas posts a slightly different size than liquid posts? When transferring sanitizer from one keg to another, the grey gas connect fits very tightly onto the liquid out post on source keg and is very difficult to remove. (I connected both ends of the transfer hose to liquid out posts).
as mentioned, the two posts are slightly different. you can kind force one onto the other and it still works. but it goes harder.

most of the poppets on my kegs, if you remove the post, they fall out. there is really nothing holding them in, so that is normal. there is an oring on the poppet that can go bad and it is not ussually one of the orings in the rebuild kit. there is very little that can leak on these kegs and all of it is orings, lol. since you can make it stop leaking by popping it, that small oring is prolly the issue.

one thing to try is keg lube. I use food grade grease on mine. dont need much, just enough to help the orings seal on the posts.

as mentioned, the two posts are slightly different. you can kind force one onto the other and it still works. but it goes harder.

most of the poppets on my kegs, if you remove the post, they fall out. there is really nothing holding them in, so that is normal. there is an oring on the poppet that can go bad and it is not ussually one of the orings in the rebuild kit. there is very little that can leak on these kegs and all of it is orings, lol. since you can make it stop leaking by popping it, that small oring is prolly the issue.

one thing to try is keg lube. I use food grade grease on mine. dont need much, just enough to help the orings seal on the posts.
The kegs came with replacement o-rings for everything except the one on the poppet itself. It doesn't appear that that those are replaceable. So, I'll try replacing the poppets and see if that helps.

View attachment 28509

Usually the poppet fixes a leak, but the post could have damage to the sealing surface. Rare.

Use "keg lube" (or any food-safe grease, like vaseline, which is what I use) on all seals, helps them seal much better.

It is OK if the poppet comes out, and also if it does not. They have minds of their own.

Yes, gas & liquid posts are different. Look at them carefully enough, you will find two differences: the bottom (what the wrench goes onto) often has a 'groove' cut into it, and the ring (the rib halfway up the post) has a slightly different shape.

You CAN get the black and gray fittings to connect to the wrong post, but it won't feel right. And they can then be difficult to remove, and get damaged - so stop doing that. Make up a new hose with the correct fittings for the post (in, out) or you will have troubles.

Back