Keg lube removal

philjohnwilliams

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I just bought 2 used kegs and while they are in great shape, the previous owner was a big fan of keg lube. All the O rings and fittings were covered in a rather generous amount of lube, and while I was able to get it off easily with Dawn dish detergent, I was wondering if anybody has any other way of removing it, as I'm not fond of using dish detergent on my brewing equipment.

I don't have any suggestions other than dishwashing liquid. I'm curious as to why you don't like to use Dawn soap on your brewing equipment. I use it all the time. Granted, I do use a non-scented version.

I would use some PBW, or Oxyclean
I recently discontinued using dish soap on my brewing equipment.

1712248629224.png

I would have just wiped it off with a paper towel and added more. Its cheap insurance against an empty co2 tank or a fridge full of beer that leaked out

I don't have any suggestions other than dishwashing liquid. I'm curious as to why you don't like to use Dawn soap on your brewing equipment. I use it all the time. Granted, I do use a non-scented version.
It's mostly due to the fact that when I started brewing I always heard that you should never use soap or detergent on your brew gear. Rationally I know that it's fine to use if rinsed properly, but I still don't like doing it.

I would use some PBW, or Oxyclean
I recently discontinued using dish soap on my brewing equipment.
I've never tried PBW, but Oxyclean has never been able to get rid of all the lube in my experience.

I've never tried PBW, but Oxyclean has never been able to get rid of all the lube in my experience.
Maybe throw them in a hop sock and give them a run through the dishwasher.
Then soak in a hot oxyclean solution and a good rinse?

Back