Keg foam issue

Hawkbox

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
So something is wonky with my kegs I think. I have a pair of kegs that just foam no matter what. I disconnect pressure and bleed the kegs, no flow comes at all so it shouldn't be overcarbed. To get any flow I hook up the CO2 again and the beer just foams. The one keg has a ton of bubbles in the line so I think I have a leak in it, but the other keg is baffling me. The beer looks beautiful coming through the line, then it's pure foam coming out of the tap. And I mean literally pure foam.

10' lines at 10PSI, I can hook other kegs up to these taps and they pour normally so I'm at a loss as to what is causing this with primarily the pure foam one.

Ideas? Suggestions?

I had that issue, it was my faucets, the faucet was spraying the beer not pouring it must have been build up or a wonky washer, I replaced the facets with interlocks and now I have problems creating any head sometimes so its a reverse issue lol

That's the thing that doesn't make sense, if I hook the line to a different keg it pours without issue. I am super confused. I may disconnect the tap anyway and check, might just be some weird thing with the beer in the keg and the tap.

Yeah, poppet's where I'd start. I dry hop in my kegs and had some hop debris interfering before.

Sounds like a restriction, specific to a keg.
Break the keg down next chance you get and inspect everything.
For now, depressurize the keg, pull the liquid post and tube, remove and replace or make sure the poppet is functioning properly, replace your dip tube washer, clean and reassemble everything.
Another place to check while you at it is the disconnect. break it down as there may be some debris in there.
Good luck,
Brian

That reminds me... I have to clean 8 tap set ups today!
Cheers!

When was the last time you took off the "out" posts on those kegs, and checked them out? When you do, hold the long diptube up to the light and eyeball it. I had a couple that were occluded in the long diptube. Clean that out well, and remove and inspect the poppits and o-rings in the poppits. Lube them if they are good, and replace if not. Also check the o-ring on the outside of the posts, and replace if necessary.

That's a good idea, I've replaced most of the o-rings in the last 5-6 months but I don't know if I've really looked at the lines. I should probably keg lube them too just to be safe. It's really weird and frustrating.

So I put a dollop of keg lube on the liquid post and the foaming seems to have gone away. I swapped taps and the other keg isn't foaming now either so I don't quite know what the hell was up with that. But it seems to be working now, bubbles in the lines seems to be a leak in the liquid post at this point.

I'm still confused why the other keg foamed but I'm going to call this a win.

Ive actually got a new liquid post ball lock connector that has the tiniest leak ATM maybe i need to break out the lube too:p!

Back