Keg carbing question

Thanks for all the helps folks. I think I'm going for Mark D Pirate's idea, 24 hours @ 40 psi, then burp and reset at 10-12 psi; maybe even a little lower on my short line. I've got a wheat in the primary now, and will give this a shot come kegging time.

There are faster methods but can result in over carbing the keg if you're not careful , 24@40 won't be quite enough carb volumes for an apa or similar but i always let them sit a few days prior to pouring anyway

After your first overcarb, you'll err on the side of undercarbing. Just make sure your CO2 serving pressure, beer line length and diameter, and beer temperature will give you the CO2 volume you're looking for. It'll get there.

I set it and forget it. Fridge between 35-40% F regulator setting @ 10psi. I have an APA conditioning now. It's been a week and it's still not ready. I am new to this as well and a little impatient. I am also not sure about fridge temps. I have had 3 different thermometers tell me 3 different readings so I am going to wait at least 3 weeks before I get concerned. I checked the keg PSI twice so far and it showed 9.5 and 9 psi once gas was removed so I know the keg is under pressure. I can only assume everything will be good even if it takes a little longer because of fridge temps. I follow the attached chart.
CARBONATION_CHART_DRINKTANKS.png

I keg 3 gallons. I usually go 40lbs overnight and then burp and turn it down.

This is my process and never had any issues.
When you burp the kegs, are you waiting for hissing to stop pretty much completely? I can't seem to get the quick carb method down without getting a full 2-3 pints of foam so I've been sticking to set and forget.

When you burp the kegs, are you waiting for hissing to stop pretty much completely? I can't seem to get the quick carb method down without getting a full 2-3 pints of foam so I've been sticking to set and forget.

I just hold the gas pin down until it just about stops hissing. I try and guess what is around 10 lbs or under.

Here is a Brulosophy article with some more information about Burst carbing.

http://brulosophy.com/2016/05/12/sparkle-fizz-methods-for-carbonation/

Yep just do 24 @30 ish on mine then purge down to serving i recently ler it go 36 and know that is deffinetly too long to burst carb:p.

I am in the same boat as others. I find that force carb at 40-45 for about 24 hours, then reduce down to 10 for serving. Seems to work well. Have about 4', 3/16" lines on the serving side. I think the best improvement has been the taps. I have a couple vent matics, and now an Intertap that all work nicely. Love the Intertap.

Intertaps are a good unit , suspect they are an Aussie copy of the Perlicks to be honest , pulling the trigger on another 2 taps and extra 4 kegs this week if supplier comes to party on a combo deal including a new kettle and herms coil , pump , fittings and a few kg of hops ....tax refund well spent !

Back