Just another IPA for feedback!

Bigbre04

Premium Plus Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1422387/medium-abv-ipa

Shooting for a slightly malty, modern(not overly bitter) IPA with some new hops that I just got in.

My thoughts on the Special X were that it would add a little complexity to the malt profile without being overpowering. I generally dont use alot of wheat malt so I figured I would toss some in as a change of pace. It would be very easy to convince me to pull it and just add more Flaked Oats.

Let me know what you think!

Thanks!
A

Hey guys,

Shooting for a slightly malty, modern(not overly bitter) IPA with some new hops that I just got in.

My thoughts on the Special X were that it would add a little complexity to the malt profile without being overpowering. I generally dont use alot of wheat malt so I figured I would toss some in as a change of pace. It would be very easy to convince me to pull it and just add more Flaked Oats.

Thanks!
A
I think you'll get just such a beer. I have no experience with Eukanot though, but I suspect it'll work nice with the Azacca and Cascade.

Only one comment, I usually put the whirlfloc in at 10 minutes, not 0. I have to imagine that at 0, with a decent whirlpool it should have time to floc up though.

I see ya dropped you dextrin malt good man!

I used wheat malt instead of a dextrin type malt for body and head retention so I say keep it and see for yourself :).

I've used Equinox which I hear is the same as what your using its much more flavour full than Cascade I'd put it that way.

Once again personally I think wp all them flame addiction hops don't boil any.

Cheers my 2c :)

Hey guys,

Thanks!
A
Interested in that malt. Heard Bestmalz on a podcast talking about it

I think you'll get just such a beer. I have no experience with Eukanot though, but I suspect it'll work nice with the Azacca and Cascade.

Only one comment, I usually put the whirlfloc in at 10 minutes, not 0. I have to imagine that at 0, with a decent whirlpool it should have time to floc up though.

Ya Whirlfloc and Yeastex go in at 15 mins before boil ends. I just don't note that. I didnt know that that was possible honestly lol.

I just got the Azacca in, the Ekuanot and the Cascade are both hops that I keep on hand.

Just trying todo something slightly different then the same recipes that I have been doing on and off for the last year or so.

I see ya dropped you dextrin malt good man!

I used wheat malt instead of a dextrin type malt for body and head retention so I say keep it and see for yourself :).

I've used Equinox which I hear is the same as what your using its much more flavour full than Cascade I'd put it that way.

Once again personally I think wp all them flame addiction hops don't boil any.

Cheers my 2c :)

Yup trying a non-Dextrin recipe! With wheat! Very much not my normal style lol.

Ya im still in the i like a hint of bitterness in my IPAs camp. The straight WP additions just end up with a little too much fruitiness for my pallet.

Yup trying a non-Dextrin recipe! With wheat! Very much not my normal style lol.

Ya im still in the i like a hint of bitterness in my IPAs camp. The straight WP additions just end up with a little too much fruitiness for my pallet.

You could always up your 60 minute addition to compensate...

You could always up your 60 minute addition to compensate...

I dont have a 60 min addition? I assume you mean the end of boil additions? Im already up around 3lbs of hops/BBL which is a lot, especially considering that they are mostly Cryo hops.

Ah yes is see yeah I do a clean Magnum 60 min addition to get like 20 ish ibus then Wp the aroma/flavour hops then Dry hop.

Last edited:
Ah yes is see yeah I do a clean Magnum 60 min addition to get like 20 ish ibus then Wp the aroma/flavour hops then Dry hop.

Ya I used to do that, but it ends up with a lot more bitterness vs flavor. At most i throw like 1 oz of Columbus cryo(about 27AA) in at 60 mins which ends up giving me about 5 IBU. I will do this on beers that are a less hop forward like lagers or stouts.

Ya I used to do that, but it ends up with a lot more bitterness vs flavor. At most i throw like 1 oz of Columbus cryo(about 27AA) in at 60 mins which ends up giving me about 5 IBU. I will do this on beers that are a less hop forward like lagers or stouts.
Amen it makes sense to me you'd get better hop utilization than I would I expect there fore more bitterness from the boil additions.

Hey I think I'm trying to brew your beer for you using your equipment from a homebrewers perspective lol.

You know your brewery and how it works and behaves far better than I do keep on keeping on man just giving you another data point of objective is all.

I'd of love to try your beers when I could glutton some gluten for sure.
Cheers!

Amen it makes sense to me you'd get better hop utilization than I would I expect there fore more bitterness from the boil additions.

Hey I think I'm trying to brew your beer for you using your equipment from a homebrewers perspective lol.

You know your brewery and how it works and behaves far better than I do keep on keeping on man just giving you another data point of objective is all.

I'd of love to try your beers when I could glutton some gluten for sure.
Cheers!
Hell naw man I super appreciate the input! I have only been making recipes for about a year! I am still new at this part of the process.

The gluten free side is tough. We have people ask for gluten free options alot, but I dont have the draft line space or quite enough interest to justify actually making one.

I actually ended up tossing in 1 oz of columbus cryo(its actually around 25.5AA not 27) because while i was brewing the batch yesturday it was turning out much darker then i had expected. So I added a little more bitterness to try to balance out the color and flavor profile.

My sample today looks more like what i was picturing. Overall today its tasting pretty awesome for an early fermentation.

There aren't many around here, but I have seen some guest taps in the Tampa Bay area with Kombucha. I love that stuff anyway, but then you get both a non-alcohol (or actually just next to non-alcohol) and a gluten free option.
I'm really surprised Ben isn't playing around with a Scobie yet.

Last edited:
There aren't many around here, but I have seen some guest taps in the Tampa Bay area with Kombucha. I love that stuff anyway, but then you get both a non-alcohol (or actually just next to non-alcohol) and a gluten free option.
Maybe Ben is a Scobie and we just dont know it?!??!?

Has anyone actually ever seen him????

Food for thought!

I do make koombutch there Sandy I've just not married the two up yet in my mind;).

Maybe a sour of some sort I can imagine but the booch I make is salavatingly sour and acidic.

They do make hard koombutcha too aye?

One step at a time I say...

I do make koombutch there Sandy I've just not married the two up yet in my mind;).

Maybe a sour of some sort I can imagine but the booch I make is salavatingly sour and acidic.

You have not denied that you are a Scobie... lol

They sure do.

Definitely symbiotic relation ship with bacteria and yeast and beer one without the other in my life just don't work.

Give us this day our daily beer!:p
Curiousity. How sour is it? My sours from sour pitch generally are 3.3 or 3.4 ph. More acidic then that? I guess that the remaining sugar may play a serious role in making them palatable.

The most sour that I have ever had(in beer) was at three fountains in Belgium drinking oud guez from the foedors. He actually distilled some and it was a tart liquor. Pretty amazing actually.

Back