jumping into lagers

oliver

Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm going to jump straight into lagers, going to do a simpler SMaSH IPL to start with. Have a few questions;

3 gal boil -> 2.25 gal kettle size

5 lbs Weyereman Pils (should get me above 6% ABV)

1oz Mittelfruh at 15
1oz Mittelfruh at 5
2oz Mittelfruh WP for 15 (10% utilization)
2oz Mittelfruh Dry Hop
Total IBUs: 43

Pitching S-23​

Questions:

Does this mash target water look ok? The profile I want is based on a midwest IPA I like.
Target... Ca: 50, Mg: 5, Na: 20, Cl: 50, SO4: 130
Or, should I go with really really soft water?

What mash pH should I target? With an IPA I like to target 5.4, but I know a lot of lagers are mashed more around 5.2.

For yeast, do I need to build up 1 pack of S-23 on a starter? I always feel more comfortable making a starter. and when I build a 1 liter starter, it gets my fermenter size to 2.5 gallons, yielding 8 liters bottled.

I know that dry yeast doesn't need a starter, just a good rehydration. But I also know that lagers need a lot of yeast and a good amount of oxygen starting out.

Hallertauer and other noble hops get very harsh and disagreeable with a high sulfate level. I'd definitely cut the the sulfate in half, or even less. 100% RO water would actually be great, and if you wanted to add a tiny bit of calcium chloride or gypsum, that would be ok but certainly not highly mineralized like an ale profile.

A mash ph of 5.3 or so would be perfect.

I don't like S-23 and don't use it, so I have no advice on that.

thanks yoop.

I've made an IPL in the past with S-23 and the Mosher West Coast profile, turned out very clean, but I didn't use any noble hops in that one.

so you're suggesting more of a Pilsen water target for this. I'm hoping to get the hops to be the focus here, but focus on their good flavor and not their astringency.

well it does look like a hopped up pilsner:cool: i do favour my gypsum in my pilsners.

well it does look like a hopped up pilsner:cool: i do favour my gypsum in my pilsners.
so what profile do you aim for on a hoppy german pils, or more of a Czech style pils?

i'm also now debating as to use ANY boil hop additions, and instead whirlpool everything

me id just go two to one gypsum to chloride the light colored and hoppy profile. i would add a small bittering charge and throw the rest in whirlpool or dry hop but mind you ive not done a hoppy lager my pilsners are around 35ibus with just a FWH a 15 min and 5 min addition of sazz.

but if i was emulating a hoppy ale id treat the wort the same and just ferment it as per lager schedule.

Back