It finally happened

jeffpn

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I'm a bottler. I've never been a kegger. I've been brewing on and off for twenty years. Every time I cap a bottle, I'm amazed at how much downward force glass can withstand. I know, it's similar to trying to crush an egg with one hand. Some of my bottles have been filled maybe 75 or 100 times. Tonight while bottling my Kölsch, I was a bit sloppy with the capper. I heard a very gritty sound. Sure enough, there was a crack going down to the bottom of the neck. That's the first time that's ever happened.

crack splash, happed to me a couple of times with those cheap bottles you get from the Internet,. now I just reuse commercial bottles, mostly the shorties

No splash, just a crack. The cap even stayed on. I've bought almost all of my bottles empty from the same store from which I buy everything homebrew related. I also save the 22 oz brown bottles on the rare occasions that I buy or get them full.

True. But I have around 200 bottles, and in 20 years, I've cracked one while capping. I should be good for 4,000 years.

Commercial bottles are generally thinner (read lighter, as in less weight to ship) than the ones we buy at the homebrew shop. Likelihood of a crack should be less with those than with the Sierra Nevada bottles I so love....

boulevard shorties are very thick too, I have 3 or 400 that I don't use anymore unless I'm going to a gathering

I think I was a bit sloppy with the downward pressure, and was too strong at a bit of an angle. I'm pretty sure it was my fault.

Now I know which ones you're talking about.... Yes, those are very heavy!

I've broken one and my son has broken one, so two total in I don't know how many years. (Overcarbonation and bottle-bombs are a different story!)

I think both times it was because we were unfamiliar with the capper and did something wrong. No problems since getting the hang of it. I have noticed some bottles feel much lighter than others. Empty Corona Light bottles feel a bit on the thin side to me. But it's what I have the most of right now.

Back