Issue with Online Brewing Supplier

Nosybear

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
This afternoon I got a package from Northern Brewer, the equipment I needed to start brewing one-gallon batches of my more experimental brews before scaling up to a full batch. Here is the e-mail I sent them:

Reference my order, invoice # F590740, Item # 40536, 2 gallon fermenter. After I got my package from you and was disappointed in this item, I went back and looked it up again on the website. Although it is clearly pictured with a drilled lid, the text does state the lid has to be ordered separately. So I suppose you are right in not sending me a lid. But here's how it works from here on: If I can find it elsewhere, I order or buy it elsewhere. I do not routinely do business with organizations that require me to read the fine print unless I can't get what I want anywhere else. Furthermore, tomorrow, I have to go to our local homebrew shop and buy a lid for the bucket because I want to use it tonight. Now you've not only disappointed me, you've inconvenienced me, again, an indicator of a company I do not want to do business with. As previously stated, you delivered what I bought and so I really have no right to ask you to send the bucket; however, I do have the right to tell others about my experience. Starting immediately following this e-mail.

I work in Quality, so I take special issue with misleading ads, pictures or other indications of what a person should expect. As I stated, I got exactly what I ordered. It just wasn't what was pictured. Use caution, gentlemen. If you order from Northern Brewer, read the fine print.

Thanks for the heads up, though I typically try and support the LHBS since I want them to be around when I need a last minute item. ;)

sorry to say this but it says right on the page, 2 gallon HDPE plastic bucket. Does not come with lid, sold separately.

I've ran into this before thats why I don't order while drinking any more LOL

+1 for supporting your LHBS. We have so many to choose from here in Portland, OR we are really fortunate.

I have one locally and normally support them quite nicely. This time I needed one pound of smoked wheat malt, crushed, and these guys have it. So I ordered from them, including the gear. Yes, on second look the product says lid not included but the picture shows a bucket with lid. But that's not the way I want to do business. It may be all honest but it feels like bait-and-switch and I just don't want to deal with that kind of business.

This reminds me of my experience at the gas station on Sunday. While I know I'm supposed to attend the pump at all times, I also have a reasonable expectation that the pump itself will indeed shut off when full. But, stupid me, I went inside to grab a couple drinks and came out to find my car in a nice big puddle of gasoline and a bill that was way higher than it should have been. Lesson learned. So, Nosy, while you should have read the description, you also have a reasonable expectation that the pictures the site chose to provide for the product would be accurate in their depiction. I believe the burden in a case like this lies with the seller, but that's my 2 cents.

But on the topic of small brewing setups, I saw the Micro Bru kit on the cover of Midwest Supplies' catalog and was intrigued. At the end of the day, it seems like a smaller, more sophisticated Mr. Beer. But the fact that it uses grains and hops instead of LME, comes with a mini auto siphon, bottle filler, capper, caps, etc makes me think it might be a pretty cool little deal. I would not use it myself, but thought it would make a nice gift for my brother-in-law, who is about to be a first-time father.

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/kickass- ... t-kit.html

Northern Brewer's reply:

I am sorry for the trouble. I cannot excuse the misrepresentation, but perhaps I can explain the events that led up to how it currently appears on the website. I just did some digging, and here's what I found out.
We used to source and sell these as a bucket and lid together - the two gallon fermentor. Then our suppliers changed on us and we had to buy buckets and lids, but we had them together as a pairing. Then, we were forced to have them as separate items due to supply chain issues again. Unfortunately, all of these item configuration procedures happen in a different place than where the images are. The photo just got overlooked. I will make sure that it gets corrected now that you've brought it to our attention.
I'd be happy to send you a lid if you desire it. The price that you paid is for just the bucket. If you are going to be getting a lid locally, I'd be happy to provide you with a Northern Brewer gift card.

They're trying to do the right thing. And that's all I ask of any business. I turned down the gift card, by the way.

Norther Brewer is really my favorite online company ....fast shipping , good products , fresh grain

I live over 1200 miles away and I get packages as soon as 3 days all the time

I live 100 miles from 2 LHBS (2 dif directions). I have dealt with lots of different online stores as a result of this. We DO support the local buisness's as much as possible. I had a situation with Northern Brewer which I thought they handled as well as possible. I ordered PH buffer solution I believe it was suppose to be 4.01, a couple packs with an order. I got 10.1 so the wife called them, they appologized and promptly sent 4 packs in a NB beer glass with an apology for any inconveniences. Only problem was it was more 10.1! She called again and they were dumbfounded and weren't sure what happened so would investigate and call back. A few minutes later she received a call and they explained someone had put the wrong stuff in the wrong bin. They never once questioned what she said at any time and were VERY customer friendly. We soon received the 4.1(4 packs) and another apology. We are human and all make mistakes. It is good to do buisness with company's that admit this and try to fix the problems as best they can to keep people coming back. BTW we now have enough buffer to last a long time.

Not to carry-on or thread highjack, but this reminds me (and I don't remember now if it was midwest or northern), but ... I once ordered supplies for a batch early in the morning. Some time later in the day, it popped into my head, "Did you order yeast?" ... went and checked, no, I forgot. So, I called and asked if they could add it. Too late, already out being processed, but, let's get it ordered and we're going to waive the shipping charge for it.That was completely 100% my error in placing the order. I paid for the yeast, of course, but the shipping was no charge. It did in fact show up separately from the other stuff I ordered.

These companies do not get the business and stay in business without making things right. Competition, especially online, is fierce. The unfortunate thing, is that we always spread the word when we feel wronged and rarely do when they do right. (< precisely the reason I desire to never work in QA; the phone doesn't ring with compliments and praise, the phone rings when there is a problem).

I have used both Midwest and Northern and had several situations with both companies.They are equally outstanding in resolving all problems as fast as humanly possible.That has been my experience with them,I have had some major issues with orders and they each have gone beyond what was needed to satisfy me!

I will have to add Ive had the same issues but found out why, some of these online companies have so may orders and the out of stock flag doesn't stop an order from showing up so they have to drop ship or order then reship.

if the supplier is out then there lies the issue, its just a lag time between the website and store database and an employee updating the website

on top of that many of these companies have rotating employees, some young collage students with allot on there plate so having gone through the whole shebang I can sympathize :cool:

Back